Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Alaska

Even though Alaska's summer riding season is only slightly longer than the shelf life of cottage cheese, the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) still requires mopeds and scooters (or what it lump-classifies as motor-driven cycles) to be registered.

In case there's any question about the classification of your bike, the DMV defines a motor-driven cycle as having an engine with 50 cc of displacement or less.

M2 Motorized Cycle Permit

Before registering your moped or scooter, you will need an M2 motorized cycle permit (license). To qualify, you must:

  • Be at least 14 years old.
  • Pass a written test for a regular license (only if you do not hold a vehicle learner's permit).
  • Pass the written and road tests designed for motorcycles.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pay a $20 fee.


To register a moped or scooter, you must:

  • Hold an M2 motorized cycle permit.
  • Provide a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) if your moped or scooter is new.
  • Pay a $60 registration and $15 titling fee.

You may register in person at any DMV office. BBB Business Review