New to Alaska

SUMMARY: New Alaska Residents

Upon moving to Alaska, you will need to transfer both your driver's license and vehicle registration over to the AK Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Similarly, you'll need to re-register to vote in your new state. Military members recently stationed in Alaska may be exempt from certain registration requirements.

Alaska State Departments

In Alaska, the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles motor vehicles and licensing. Traffic tickets in Alaska are handled by the state's court system or the city in which you received your ticket. Voter registration and election information is available from the AK Division of Elections. All of this can be overwhelming to those who are new to the state, but we are here to help you learn how and with whom to complete your required tasks.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles

The Alaska DMV handles vehicle and licensing administration within the state, which includes the following:

Traffic Tickets in Alaska

The Alaska DMV is not responsible for handling traffic tickets. Instead, traffic tickets are primarily handled by one of the following:

  • Your city.
  • The Alaska Court System.

Your ticket should indicate whether it is payable to the city or the court.

Vehicles in Alaska

If you are bringing an out-of-state vehicle to Alaska when you move, you must have it registered in the state within 10 days of establishing residency or employment.

For a simple explanation of the process, please refer to our Car Registration in Alaska page.

Special Vehicles

If you own a recreational vehicle, an ATV, or even a snowmobile, you're required to register it. For more information, please check out our page on Alaska Special Vehicle Registration.

Car Insurance Requirements

In order to protect you in the case of an accident, the Alaska DMV requires that all registered vehicles be insured. To make sure you get the best policy and the best value, please refer to our Car Insurance in Alaska page.

Emissions Inspections

Alaska no longer requires emission inspections in order to register your vehicle. However, they do offer some incentives for eco-friendly driving. You can learn more on our guide to Alaska vehicle inspections.

AK Driver's Licenses and ID Cards

Once you've become a resident of Alaska, you have 90 days to obtain an Alaska driver's license. If you have a commercial driver's license (CDL), you only have 30 days to get an Alaska CDL.

For more information, visit our following pages:

AK Identification Cards

If you don't drive but you need a form of identification, you'll need to get an ID card. The simple process is explained on our Identification Cards in Alaska page.

Voter Registration in Alaska

One of the things a lot of people overlook when they move is registering to vote. Don't miss out on any important elections; find out how to register to vote in Alaska on our Voter Registration page.

Military Members Stationed in Alaska

If you're an active-duty military member from out of state who is currently stationed in Alaska, our Alaska Drivers in the Military page may be of some use to you.

Here you'll find information on whether you can use your out-of-state driver's license and vehicle while you're temporarily in Alaska.

AK DMV Offices and Resources

Need to find the nearest Alaska DMV? It's easy to do with the help of our DMV Office Finder.

You may also find some useful information in some of AK DMV's resources:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review