Identification Cards in Alaska

SUMMARY: Alaska Identification Cards

You must apply for an ID card in person at a DMV office. You can renew your identification card either in person or by mail. If you lose your Alaska ID card, you must request a duplicate in person. Temporary ID cards are available if you lose your ID card while out of state and can't appear in person at a DMV office to replace it.

Continue reading this page to learn how to obtain an identification card from the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Alaska REAL ID Cards

The Alaska DMV has begun issuing federally-compliant REAL ID cards. As of October 1, 2021, the REAL ID will function as federal identification for domestic travel and entry into federal and military buildings—a standard license will not after this date.

You have the choice to apply for a standard ID card or upgrade to a REAL ID. Details are outlined below.

Apply for an Identification Card

In Alaska, you can qualify for an identification card as long as you're a resident of the state.

You will need to apply in person at your local AK DMV office by submitting:

  • Proof of your:
    • Name and date of birth, such as your:
      • For REAL IDs, this must also prove your legal U.S. presence.
      • For non-compliant IDs, you must bring both a primary and secondary proof.
    • Proof of your AK residential address.
      • For a REAL ID, you need 2 documents.
    • Social Security number (SSN) or ineligibility for one.
    • Name change (if applicable).
  • A completed Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or Identification Card (Form D1).
  • Payment for the $15 fee.
    • Your card is free, if you are 60 years old or older.

NOTE: You will need to have your photo taken.

Fees for an Identification Card in AK

You will pay the following for an identification card in Alaska:

  • Original/renewal/replacement: $15.
    • If you're 60 years old or older: free..

The Alaska DMV accepts the following payment methods:

  • In person: Contact the AK DMV office you are visiting.
  • By mail:
    • Personal check.
    • Money order.
  • By fax: MasterCard or VISA only.

Renew an Alaska ID Card

Your Alaska ID card will usually be valid for 8 years at a time and will expire on your birthday. If you are under 21 years old, your ID card expires 90 days after you turn 21 years old.

You can renew your AK identification card in person or by mail (if eligible). If you are upgrading to a REAL ID, however, you MUST renew in person.

Renewals are $15 (or free if you're 60 years old or older).

In Person

To renew your driver's license in person, visit your local AK DMV office and:

By Mail

You can renew your Alaska ID card by mail if:

  • You are at least 22 years old.
    • If you are 20 or 21 years old, you may be able to renew by mail. Call the Juneau Licensing Office at (907) 465-4361 for more information.
  • Your last renewal was done in person.
  • You haven't changed your name since your last ID was issued.
    • If you are studying out of state, you will still be able to renew by mail.

If you are in Alaska and would like to renew by mail, first complete the identification variation form online. If you are eligible, contact the AK DMV for renewal instructions.

Out-of-State Students

If you are studying outside of Alaska, you will need:

Send the above items to:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 110221
Juneau, AK 99811

If you have any questions about your renewal application, e-mail the Alaska DMV at


First, understand that you MUST renew your AK identification card IN PERSON if:

  • You need to change your name.
  • You’re a visiting or resident non-U.S. citizen.
  • You have become a U.S. citizen since the DMV issued your last card.

If none of the above applies to you, you can renew your ID card online as long as:

  • Your ID card is within 1 year of the expiration date.
  • Your last renewal was in person.

Additionally, the AK DMV provides a tool to establish your identity. This system doesn’t renew your ID card; it gathers information about you and your card and determines whether you’re eligible to renew online. If you are, you’ll most likely be directed to the online renewal system

The online renewal system will walk you through the steps, payment options, and when you’ll receive your renewed card. Before you begin, note that:

  • Alaska identification cards cost $15; they are free for people 60 years old or older.
  • After processing the renewed ID card, the AK DMV will email you a receipt and copy of your renewed card to print. This acts as a temporary card.
  • The AK DMV will mail your new identification card to the address on file.

Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged ID Card

If your Alaska ID card has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to apply for a duplicate in person.

NOTE: If you are outside of Alaska, you can apply for a temporary ID card by mail or fax to use until you return to state and can appear at an AK DMV office.

Visit your local AK DMV office and:

Temporary ID Card

If you've lost your card while out of state, you can request a temporary ID card online. When you return to Alaska, you will need to visit a DMV office to obtain a replacement card.

Complete the online request form and have a credit or debit card to pay the $5 temporary credential fee.

Change Your Name or AK Address

If you have changed your address or name, you will need to update the Alaska DMV. For instructions, please see our following pages:


Application for Alaska Driver License Permit or Identification Card
Request a driver's license, identification card, or driver's permit from the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles. MUST be signed at the DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review