Name Change in Alaska

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Name in Louisiana

If your name has changed recently for any reason—including marriage, divorce, or other court order—you will need to notify the Social Security Administration and the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), as well as obtain an updated driver’s license. You will also need to have your name changed on your vehicle registration and certificate of title.

Change Your Name with the SSA

Before you change your name with the AK DMV, you may want to first change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The DMV may verify your information with the SSA, so it's important to have your name up to date on their records first.

To change your name with the SSA, submit the following documents either by mail or in person to your local office:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Documents (original or certified) proving your:
    • Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
    • U.S. citizenship (if not already on file) OR your U.S. immigration document (including your I-94 printout).
    • Identity (e.g. driver's license, passport, ID card).

A complete list of documents required for a corrected card can be found on the SSA website.

The SSA will send you an updated Social Security card showing your new name within about 14 business days.

Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

Once you've changed your name, you'll need to notify the AK DMV within 30 days of the change. You'll need to visit the Alaska DMV in person with:

  • A completed Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or Identification Card (Form D1).
    • If you need to change your name on your commercial driver's license, complete the same form - Form D1.
  • Proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Court order.
    • Divorce decree.
    NOTE: Only an original certified copy will be accepted.
  • Payment for the $35 duplicate driver's license or $35 ID card fee.
    • ID cards are free if you're 60 years old or older.

NOTE: If you are changing the name on your Alaska driver's license, you may need to pass the vision test.

AK Vehicle Registration/Title Name Change

To change the name on your certificate title and registration, you'll need to visit the Alaska DMV office in person and complete a title transfer.

You will need to submit your certificate of title with the sale portion completed in full:

  • Put your previous name as the seller.
  • Put your new name as the buyer.
  • Write “Name change only" and the reason for the change (e.g. due to marriage).

NOTE: You do not need to include the odometer reading if all you're doing is changing your name.

You will need to pay the $15 duplicate title fee, plus any additional fees if there is a lien on the vehicle.

You will also need to apply for a duplicate registration certificate, see our Replacing a Registration page.

Fees to Change Your Name in Alaska

To change your name and receive updated documents from the Alaska DMV, you'll need to pay the following fees:

  • Driver's license: $35.
  • ID card: $35 (free if you're 60 years old or older).
  • Title certificate: $15.
  • Registration: $2.

Change Your Alaska Address

If you change your address in Alaska, you'll need to notify the AK DMV within 30 days of your move. This process is a little easier than changing your name and can be done online, by mail, or in person.

For more information and instructions, see our Change of Address in Alaska page.


Application for a Social Security Card
Apply for an original, replacement, OR corrected Social Security card.
Application for Alaska Driver License Permit or Identification Card
Request a driver's license, identification card, or driver's permit from the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles. MUST be signed at the DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review