Paperwork When Buying a Car in Alaska

After buying a car in Alaska, you will need certain documents from the seller in order to properly title and register the car at the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in your name.

Use this guide to learn more about the paperwork you may need to:

  • Buy a car.
  • Register and title that car.

Paperwork for Alaska Car Buyers

Whether you purchase a car from a dealership or private seller, you will need to title and register it within 30 days. The paperwork you'll need varies by whether you purchased from a dealer or a private party.

Dealership Purchases

When you buy a car at an Alaskan dealership, the dealer usually handles the paperwork necessary for titling and registration, and it's unlikely you will need to visit the DMV after your purchase.

For vehicles purchased at a dealership out of state, you will need to title and register your vehicle in Alaska just as any other out-of-state transfer. For this, you'll need either the vehicle's:

  • Title.
  • Manufacturer's certificate of origin.

Private Seller Purchases

For cars bought from a private seller, you'll need to title and register the car yourself. Make sure you obtain:

  • The vehicle title, with all transactional components filled out. This includes:
    • A notice of vehicle sale or transfer.
      • If this is not included on the title, the seller will need to provide you with proof a Notice of Transfer Pending was completed online.
    • Names, addresses, and signatures for you and the seller.
    • The vehicle's:
      • Purchase price.
      • Date of sale.
  • An odometer reading, IF the vehicle is under 20 years old.
  • A bill of sale.
    • While not required by the Alaska DMV to transfer ownership, a bill of sale is recommended as a receipt and record of the transaction.

What If No Title Is Present?

If the current owner does not have or has lost the title, they must apply for a duplicate title before ownership can be transferred.

The process for applying for a duplicate title includes:

  • Completing an Application for Duplicate Title (Form 809).
  • Acquiring a lien release, if there is a lienholder in possession of the title.
  • Paying the $15 duplicate title fee.

Car Registration Paperwork in AK

After completing the purchase of a new or used vehicle, you have 30 days to title and register it at your local DMV.

Below are the documents you'll need to bring with you:

  • Proof of ownership, such as:
    • The vehicle's completed title.
    • A signed manufacturer's certificate of origin if the vehicle was purchased out of state.
  • A completed Application for Title and Registration (Form V1).
  • A Verification of Inspection (Form 811).
    • This is normally completed at the DMV office.
  • An odometer disclosure statement on the title OR a separate Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 839).
  • A lien release, if applicable.
  • The lienholder's name and address, if applicable.
  • A notarized power of attorney; needed if:
    • Not all owners are present at the time of registration.
    • The vehicle is leased and the title is being held by a lienholder.
  • Payment for required fees.

Visit our page on Alaska vehicle registration for a full detailed outline of how to register your newly-purchased car with the DMV.


Application for Duplicate Title
Request a duplicate Alaska vehicle title from the DMV. MUST be notarized OR signed by an employee at the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles.
Application for Title and Registration
Complete this form when you are applying for a transfer of ownership, registration, title, OR replacement title with the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles.
Odometer Disclosure Statement
Complete this form when buying or selling a vehicle in Alaska to disclose the number of miles on it. MUST be signed by both the buyer and seller.
Verification of Inspection
Before certain vehicles can be titled and registered in Alaska, they must undergo an inspection conducted by the DMV OR by a verified DMV vehicle inspector.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review