Dealer-related Information in Alaska

Request an Application and Information Packet

If you would like to receive an information packet and an application to become a certified motor vehicle dealer in Alaska, you may request an application in person or by U.S. mail by writing to:

  • State of Alaska
  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Attn: Dealer/Fleet Unit
  • 3901 Old Seward Hwy, Ste 101
  • Anchorage, AK 99503

If you write for a packet, please be sure to enclose a mailing address where the packet should be sent.

You may call (907) 269-3752 for further information. You can check the Motor Vehicle Dealer and Buyer's Agent information page on the AK DMV website, too.

Requirements for Certification

All motor vehicle dealerships and buyer's agents must be certified to do business in Alaska. Here's the initial paperwork required to get the certification process started:

  • A notarized surety bond for $100,000 ($25,000 if you plan to sell only motorcycles)
  • An application for registration as a motor vehicle dealer or buyer's agent, with a notarized signature
  • $50 registration fee

Certification Processing Time

It takes approximately 2 weeks to process an application for certification of a new motor vehicle dealership.

Upon Certification

Once you have been certified as a new or used motor vehicle dealer, your surety bond must be in force at all times as long as you are doing business in Alaska. Also, once you receive your certificate, it must be displayed at your business location.

Please keep in mind that these are the requirements for the AK DMV only. They do not include any other state or local licensing requirements, registrations, fees or documentation needed to legally operate a business in Alaska.

Moving Your Dealership

If you move your business, you must notify the DMV right away and send a copy of the surety bond showing the address change. Your certificate is only valid at the address on file with the AK DMV.

Closing Your Business

If you close your business while your registration is in effect, you must return your registration certificate, dealer plates, and temporary permits to the DMV. Dealership and buyer's agent certifications are non-transferable.

Certification Renewals

Your dealership or buyer's agent certification must be renewed every 2 years. The AK DMV will send a letter along with the necessary paperwork for your renewal, shortly before the renewal is due. Fees are the same as for the original license.

Dealer Forms

We have a listing with links for you to download motor vehicle dealer forms you may need in order to conduct business. The AK DMV provides the forms in PDF format, so you will need the free Adobe Reader to download and print them.

More Information

Depending on the types of vehicles you sell, you may need additional information regarding custom built car registration, RV and motorhome registration, or boat registration.

If you sell used vehicles, you may also need information on titling and registering salvaged vehicles and smog and emission checks. A bill of sale could also come in handy.

If your dealership is more focused on new cars, you might want to take a look at this page concerning the lemon law and consumer protection. You'll also want to keep track of any general recalls that have been issued.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review