Accident Guide

Choose Your State

Please enter your ZIP Code to access Accident Guide specific to your state:

Summary: Filing an Accident Report

If you've been involved in a car accident, you may need to file an accident report with your state DMV in addition to contacting your car insurance provider. Click your state to see what kind of information you should gather after a car accident and what you'll need to provide to the DMV.

No one ever expects to be involved in a car accident, but it does happen. When it does, you need to know what to do at the scene. And, you also need to know how to report it―and who you have to notify. Select your state to find all the details of how and when to file a report.

We’ve compiled, by state, the conditions under which you need to file an accident report, how soon after the accident you need to notify, who you need to notify, how much it will cost, and what form you need to fill out.

During an already stressful time, look to DMV.ORG for answers on how to fill out an accident report and much more. Hopefully, we can make the whole experience just a little less painful.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review