CCPA California Privacy Rights
The California Consumer Privacy Act began in January of 2020. If you are a California resident, the following additional rights may apply to you.
Right to Disclosure About Your Personal Information
The DMV.ORG website collects certain information in order to provide products and experiences that align with customer needs. That information includes:
- Personal identifiers, such as your name, IP address, state, zip code, email, and other similar identifiers;
- Characteristics about you, such as age, gender, marriage status, homeownership status, and vehicle insurance status;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as your viewing activity on the website;
- Inferences based on the information we collect from or about you which we use to better understand your preferences and behavior, including customizing content and advertising for you.
California residents may request information regarding DMV.ORG's disclosure of personal information (such as your name and contact information) to third parties who wish to contact you or send you promotional information about their products and services directly. If you are a California resident and would like to request a copy of information regarding our disclosure to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please send us a request through our customer care page at https://www.dmv.org/customer-care.php.
Right to Request Access.
You have the right to request specific personal information we have collected about you as well as information about how we collect, use, disclose, and “sell” personal information.
Right to Delete.
You have the right to request the deletion of personal information that we collect or maintain about you.
Right to Opt Out of “Sale.”
DMV.ORG may disclose certain information about you when you enter personal information for third-party services which may be considered a “sale” under the CCPA. For example, you may enter a zipcode or contact information that is passed to partners or service providers in order to provide you with more relevant product offers. This information may include identifiers such as your IP address, age, gender, and geolocation data.
If you are not a registered user on DMV.ORG, we have limited information about you. We do not store personally identifiable information (PII). However, you have choices regarding how third parties may collect and use data about you from DMV.ORG as described below.
Advertisers may collect information about you from DMV.ORG by tracking the pages you visit. Or, personal information may be collected about you from other websites in order to personalize your experience for the ads you see on DMV.ORG. To the extent that the third-party information collection on the Site constitutes the sale of personal information, you can exercise your right to opt out of these sales only by following the below instructions:
- To make choices about the use of information from or about you for online behavioral or interest-based advertising on websites (desktop and mobile browsers), please visit https://optout.aboutads.info/ and https://optout.networkadvertising.org/
- To make choices about online behavioral or interest-based advertising within mobile applications, you can download the DAA’s AppChoices application from your mobile device at https://www.aboutads.info/appchoices or from your device’s app store
- For advertisements that are targeted based on your preferences and through personal data collection through Google and related sites, visit https://myaccount.google.com/data-and-personalization, scroll down to the “Ad personalization” section, click “Go to ad settings” and toggle “Ad personalization” to OFF
Exercising Your CCPA Rights
We provide these rights, subject to a verifiable consumer request. To submit a request to exercise these rights, please submit a request on our customer care page. You can also call our toll-free number at (800) 407-8349 to speak with one of our representatives.
- If you are not a registered member with DMV.org, please note that we have limited information about you, if any. You will be required to verify your request by providing your name and the email that you believe we have collected about you and also the pages or service with which you interacted.
- If you choose to exercise these rights, you will not receive different prices or quality of services unless permitted by applicable law, including if those differences are reasonably related to your information. For example, if you exercise your right to opt out of “sale,” the ads you view may not be as tailored to your interests.