Replacing a Lost License in Wyoming
It can be a shock to open your wallet or purse and discover that your driver's license has vanished. Whether you've lost your license or someone has stolen it, the idea of being without identification is not a pleasant one―and concerns about identity theft make replacing your driver's license even more important.
Fortunately, the state of Wyoming has created licenses that are nearly impossible to duplicate. Extra safety measures like holograms might assuage your fears of counterfeiting.
If you've lost your commercial driver's license (CDL) but found yourself in this section, head over to our Replacing a Lost CDL section for more information.
In order to receive a duplicate Wyoming driver's license, you will need to go to an exam center.
You'll also need to present:
- Proof of identification, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as your Social Security card or a W-2 form.
- 2 documents to prove you are a Wyoming resident, such as current utility bills or your lease agreement.
NOTE: The WY Department of Transportation (DOT) website provides a complete list of accepted documents.
If you are required to pass any tests for your next driver's license renewal, you will need to take and pass them to receive your duplicate driver's license.
The Wyoming Department of Transportation will asses a renewal license fee of $15.
If your Wyoming driver's license has been stolen, the first step in getting it replaced begins at a local police station and will result in your new driver's license having a different number. A new driver's license number can help prevent identity theft or fraud.
You should describe the theft to a law enforcement officer, who will document it in a police report.
You must then take a copy of the police report and other required documents to an exam office. You will need:
- Proof of identification, such as your birth certificate or U.S. passport.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a W-2 form or your Social Security card.
- 2 documents that prove you are a resident of Wyoming, such as a rental agreement and a current utility bill.
In the case of a stolen license or ID card, the more proof you have of who you are, the better. You will also need to complete a Wyoming Driver License/Identification Card Application (Form FSDL-705).
The DOT will charge a $15 renewal fee. If you are replacing an ID card, the fee is $10.
If your WY driver's license is lost or stolen while you are out of the state or out of the country:
- Complete a Wyoming Driver License/Identification Card Application (Form FSDL-705).
- Provide 2 documents for proof of your WY residency.
- Include your renewal/replacement fee.
- Mail your application to:
5300 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82009
It's a good idea to keep photocopies of your driver license in your possession while you're traveling, just in case your license is lost or stolen. That way, you'll have a record of your driver's license number, the expiration date, and other useful information if you should need to contact WYDOT for a replacement.Other Topics in This Section