Replacing a Lost License in WyomingPage Overview
- Obtain a Duplicate License in Wyoming
- Reporting a Stolen Driver's License
- Out-of-State License Replacement
- Related Content
Verified As Of: 05/07/2015?Our goal is to give you the most up-to-date, accurate information about your state DMV's processes. The date you see here reflects the most recent time we've verified this information with your state DMV. When they change something, we do, too!
Replacing a Lost Wyoming Driver's License
It can be a shock to open your wallet or purse and discover that your driver's license has vanished. Whether you have lost your driver's license or someone has stolen it, the idea of being without identification is not a pleasant one―and concerns about identity theft make replacing your driver's license even more important.
Fortunately, the state of Wyoming has created licenses that are nearly impossible to duplicate. Extra safety measures like holograms might assuage your fears of counterfeiting. Continue reading this page to find out exactly what you need to do to replace your lost or stolen WY driver's license.
NOTE: If you've lost your commercial driver's license (CDL) but found yourself in this section, head over to our Replacing a Lost CDL section for more information.
In order to receive a duplicate Wyoming driver's license, you will need to go to an exam center.
You'll also need to present:
- A completed Wyoming Driver License/Identification Card Application (Form FSDL-705).
- Proof of identification, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as your Social Security card or a W-2 form.
- 2 documents to prove you are a Wyoming resident, such as current utility bills or your lease agreement.
- Your police report, if your driver's license has been stolen.
- See "Reporting a Stolen Driver's License" below.
NOTE: The WY Department of Transportation (DOT) website provides a complete list of accepted documents.
If you are required to pass any tests for your next driver's license renewal, you will need to do so before receiving your duplicate driver's license.
The Wyoming Department of Transportation will assess a renewal license fee of $15. If you have a motorcycle class code, tack on an additional $3 to your fee.
If your Wyoming driver's license has been stolen, the first step in getting it replaced begins at a local police station and will result in your new driver's license having a different number. A new driver's license number can help prevent identity theft or fraud.
You should describe the theft to a law enforcement officer, who will document it in a police report.
You must then take a copy of the police report and other required documents to an exam office. See above for steps, documents, and fees.
NOTE: You may only renew/replace your license by mail once every 8 years. If you are not eligible to renew your driver's license or ID by mail, your duplicate license will maintain the same expiration date.
If your WY driver's license is lost or stolen while you are out of the state or out of the country:
- Complete a Wyoming Driver License/Identification Card Application (Form FSDL-705).
- Provide 2 documents for proof of your WY residency.
- Include your driver's license renewal/replacement fee:
- $15 for a driver's license; $10 for an ID card.
- Add an additional $3 if you are replacing a license with a motorcycle endorsement.
- If you need your license mailed to your out-of-state location, include a completed Forwarding Request form.
- Mail your application to:
5300 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82009
The WY DOT indicates you should allow 60 days for application processing.
It's a good idea to keep photocopies of your WY driver license in your possession while you're traveling, just in case your driver's license is lost or stolen. That way, you'll have a record of your driver's license number, the expiration date, and other useful information if you should need to contact WYDOT for a replacement.Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section