Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • License Plates & Placards in Wyoming

    Wyoming is quite famous for its ubiquitous "bucking bronco" emblem. Since 1936, the cowboy saddled atop a kicking horse in a rodeo pose has been gracing vehicle plates. It is an important symbol of Wyoming's Wild West, rugged image as a massive mountain state perched upon the wide-open frontier.

    The image is so popular that it not only decorates just about every plate on every car, truck, or motorcycle in Wyoming, but it also competes with the state seal for a presence on official forms and licenses.

    The only way to add a bit of diversity or individuality using the bucking bronco on a license plate is by applying for one of the numerous specialty plates or opt for a prestige plate. Drivers with disabilities may also apply for disabled license plates or placards granting special parking privileges.

    Prestige Plates

    In the state of Wyoming, prestige plates equal personalized plates. This type of plate is handled through Motor Vehicle Services at the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT). But the physical metal rectangle that attaches to the vehicle is still issued through the local county treasurer's office.

    Prestige plates are allowed on just about every type of registered vehicle including SUVs, motor homes, motorcycles, and even in some cases, ATVs.

    There are a few limitations and restrictions that come with this plate:

    • Plates can only contain 4 characters; letters or numerals or a combination of 4 letters and numerals.
    • Only capital letters and Arabic numbers are allowed.
    • Applicants cannot use any other symbols or punctuation marks.
    • The department will not accept any word or phrase it deems vulgar or obscene.
    • There is a list of unacceptable letter and number combinations.

    The first step to obtaining the plates is figuring out exactly what you want to say. You will need to devise a primary choice and two secondary choices. These secondary choices are needed in case the department denies the first choice or it is taken by another driver.

    The next thing to do is complete the plate  Application for Prestige Plates (Form MV-416) and send it to:

    • WYDOT
    • Attention: Motor Vehicle Services
    • 5300 Bishop Blvd
    • Cheyenne, WY 82009

    Or, if you prefer, save time and submit an online application.

    The fee for the license plates is $30, and it usually takes about a month for the plates to arrive at the local treasurer's office. For more information or to find out if a word or phrase is available before you submit the application, contact the division at (307) 777-4709.

    Specialty Plates

    Wyoming offers a multitude of specialty plates. Most of these plates advertise some type of individual service, whether to the military or an emergency squadron. But you can also get them for old cars and even as a way to connect with others on a scratchy radio signal.

    Generally, you will need to apply for these plates directly through your local county treasurer's office. But in some cases you will need to go through the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) first. It is best to check the applications closely to make sure you send your fees and forms to the right place.

    Pioneer License Plate Application (Form MV-146) to apply for these plates:

    • The vehicle must be at least 25 years old.
    • The vehicle must be used strictly for antique exhibitions, shows, parades, and related activities. (Trips to have the vehicle repaired are permissible.)
    • You must have been a Wyoming resident for at least 1 year.

    There is a $10 fee.

    Military Plate Application (Form MV-100) Obviously, you will need proof of service and have to meet certain qualifications to obtain these plates. Available designs include:

    • Former Prisoner of War
    • Disabled Veteran
    • Army National Guard
    • Air National Guard
    • Pearl Harbor Survivor
    • Purple Heart Recipient

    You may apply online or by completing an Application for Veteran License Plates (MV-100) and mailing to the address on the form.

    Radio Amateur Plate Application (Form MV-403). Before the Internet, there was ham radio. Those enthusiasts surfing the AM airwaves armed with Morse code, the hope of contact, and an FCC radio license can apply to have their call letters etched onto their vehicle plates. The fee is $30, and a copy of the FCC license must be enclosed with the application.

    Firefighter/EMT Plate Application (Form MV-140). You will need to provide evidence of eligibility in written form, preferably on station letterhead, in order to receive these plates. A fee of $30 is required. WYDOT will process the application and send the plates to your county treasurer's office.

    Surrendering Your Plates in Wyoming

    Certain counties within Wyoming may require you to return your license plates after relocating to another state or selling your vehicle.

    Contact yourlocal Wyoming county treasurer's office for more information.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.