Commercial Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements in WyomingGet Free Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes from Multiple Providers
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
Owners of all vehicles―private and commercial―must prove that they can pay for any damages or injuries their vehicles cause. This is called "financial responsibility," and it's especially important in Wyoming, where the law requires that the owner of the vehicle at fault in an accident is responsible for all of the damages in that accident.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility
In this state, you can establish financial responsibility when you:
- Purchase an insurance policy.
- Secure a bond with a surety company that is authorized to do business in Wyoming or with at least two individual sureties that own real estate in Wyoming.
- Deposit $25,000 (or securities of equal value) with the state treasurer.
A private insurance policy might cover some business use of your vehicle, so it can be tricky to know whether you should buy commercial insurance. Consider the following questions:
- How many and what kind of vehicle(s) do you need to insure?
- How is the vehicle(s) being used?
- Who drives the vehicle(s)?
- Who owns the vehicle(s)?
For example, if you own a roofing company with three trucks that carry equipment and employees, you will need a commercial policy. But if you run a home-based business like Avon or Tupperware, your private insurance is probably enough.
You would also need commercial insurance if any of the following apply:
- Your vehicle carries business equipment or hazardous materials.
- You or your business regularly picks up and delivers goods and/or people.
- You need to protect your employees when they use your company vehicle(s) or their own vehicles on company time.
If you’re still not sure whether you need commercial insurance, call the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) at (307) 777-4375.
Because commercial vehicles are used differently from private vehicles, you will need to consider the following when purchasing an insurance policy:
- Who owns the vehicle(s)
- Weight of the vehicle(s)
- Usage of the vehicle(s)
- Legal requirements
In Wyoming, commercial vehicles must have at least the same liability coverage as private vehicles:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury
- $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $20,000 per accident for property damage
Talk to your insurance agent to determine whether you should have more than this minimum coverage.
If you are still unsure about your insurance requirements, contact the WYDOT to review your specific situation.
Your private insurance company probably also offers commercial insurance, but remember there are also companies that specialize in commercial policies, so shop around to get the coverage and rates that are right for you.
Wyoming has an online Insurance Verification System that allows officers and the WYDOT to confirm private insurance coverage with insurance companies. At this time, however, insurance companies are not required to make information on commercial policies available online.
You are required to show proof of insurance (or bond or deposit) if an officer stops you for a traffic violation. Most companies will send you an insurance card, which you should keep in your vehicle.
In addition to the Insurance Verification System that confirms your coverage, insurers are required to give to the WYDOT a list of all insured entities each month. If you are caught without insurance, you will be charged with a misdemeanor unless you can produce proof of coverage within seven days.
Getting caught with no proof of insurance carries some steep penalties. The fine for a first offense ranges from $250 to $750, and for a second offense from $500 to $1,500. You could also face up to six months in jail.
If convicted, you must surrender your vehicle registration and license plates to the county treasurer until you have met all obligations.
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Requirements
Wyoming car insurance can be difficult to understand. Learn more about Wyoming auto insurance requirements and options.
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
WY financial responsibility requirements for your moped, atv, scooter or motorcycle. Protect your bike and your liability in Wyoming by purchasing motorcycle insurance.
- Commercial Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
Commercial vehicle insurance requirements in WY. Protect your rig or your fleet by maintaining proper financial responsibility on your commercial vehicles in Wyoming.
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
Learn More On Penalties For Driving Without Insurance In Your State. No Insurance Violations Vary By State. Avoid Allowing You Car Insurance Policy To Lapse.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims