Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in Wyoming

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Wyoming exudes the West's spirit of a vast, seemingly untamable landscape and the rugged persona of holding onto the indelible ideals of individual freedom. That is why the state makes every effort to ensure that those with disabilities who possess a valid driver's license and own a legally registered vehicle can enjoy the privilege of driving.

    Obviously, there are limitations and restrictions that are ultimately determined by the level of impairment, and whether a license officer judges the driver's ability to handle a vehicle safely to be adequate.

    Eligibility Requirements

    The first eligibility requirement is that you have a qualifying disability. A complete list of the qualifying disabilities is included with the Application for Handicapped Vehicle Identification Placard (Form FSR-449). In short, one of the following must pertain to you:

    • Unable to walk 200 feet without resting.
    • Restriction caused by lung disease or cardiac, arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
    • Need for walking devices (walkers, canes, crutches, etc.)
    • Use of portable oxygen.

    Once that's established, there are more requirements to be met:

    • The person applying, whether the actual eligible driver or a person substituting as the eligible person's transport, needs to have established Wyoming residency.
    • A certified physician must confirm the disability by completing the appropriate box on the bottom section on the Application for Handicapped Vehicle Identification Placard (Form FSR-449).
    • If another individual is applying as the driver on behalf of an eligible person they will need to have a valid Wyoming license and have the disabled person fill out a Statement of Eligible Person form establishing the role of a secondary driver.
    • If the disabled applicant possesses a valid Wyoming driver's license then that person must be the one to apply for a placard or set of plates.


    Depending on the disability a licensee may necessitate certain restriction codes:

    C―Mechanical Aid: The driver can only operate a modified vehicle with mechanical enhancements designed to assist a disabled person.

    D―Prosthetic Aid: Allows a disabled driver to work a vehicle utilizing an artificial extremity.

    E―Automatic Transmission: Limits a person to driving a vehicle with automatic transmission. Hence, no manual (stick shift) driving is allowed.

    G―Daylight Driving: Enables diving only from sunrise to sunset.

    Y―Annual Vision Statement: To maintain a license a person must provide Driver Services with a completed vision evaluation form from a qualified eye specialist.

    Z―Annual Medical Statement: A medical evaluation form filled by a doctor or appropriate medical professional must be presented to Driver Services in order to sustain a valid license.

    Placards and Plates

    Regardless of whether you are physically able to drive, your age, or even if you even have a valid driver's license, you may be eligible for a handicap placard or a set of plates. A placard will give you (or the person driving you around) the benefit of preferential point-of-entry access.

    Out-of-State Visitors

    If you're planning to visit Wyoming, and you already have a disability placard or license plate issued in your home state, you're good to go. Across the board, states honor one another's disability plates and placards.

    If you are a Wyoming resident who is expecting a disabled visitor, your guest should bring their placard with them. That way, you can use their placard to get them better access and limit their discomfort. You will not be able to obtain a disability placard for a visitor who is not a Wyoming resident, and anyway, it is suggested that the disability plates or placards always be in the disabled person's name, rather than the name of a potential driver.

    If you have questions about disability license plates or placards, contact Driver Services at (307) 777-4810.


    Placards are issued in the permanent and temporary variety and are generally free of charge. You can request a placard and a set of plates. The exam office will only provide authorization for plates, as titling and registration services are handled on the county level at the local treasurer's office. License plate fees vary by county.

    Temporary placards are available for increments of 6 months. If a physician has approved use of a temporary placard for more than 6 months you will need to return to an exam office to renew the placard for an additional 6 months. This requires a new application. If you need a placard for a longer period, you may be eligible for a permanent placard.

    You can apply for a placard two ways:

    In person―Simply visit a local exam office with a completed application and, if everything is in order, the placards will be handed over at that time.

    If for some reason the entitled applicant cannot make a trip to an exam office a relative or power of attorney can present the completed form along with the disabled person driver's license or ID card. The surrogate will also need to present their appropriate identification.

    By mail―To prevent any unnecessary lag time or delay, it is always best, if you are able, to visit an exam office in person to apply for placards or receive plate authorization.

    However, it is possible to apply via mail. Fill out the application and mail to the below address. If you are the eligible person's proxy driver, make sure to include the Statement of Eligible Person form.

    • Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT)
    • Driver Services
    • 5300 Bishop Blvd
    • Cheyenne, WY 82009


    Agencies that provide services to the disabled (assisted care facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.) can apply for as many placards as the company has vehicles. An Application for Handicapped Vehicle Identification Placard (Form FSR-449) must be filled out, minus the physician's note box, and taken to a local exam office by a decision maker in the company (CEO, owner, CFO, etc.).

    Agencies must have someone apply in person. The mail option is not available.

    Other Topics in This Section