Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Boat Registration and Licenses in Wyoming

    Compare Boat Insurance Rates and Save!

    What to Register

    All motorized boats, which includes boats with trolling motors, must be registered with the Wyoming Fish and Game Department.

    What Not to Register

    • Non-motorized canoes.
    • Non-motorized sailboats.
    • Non-motorized kayaks.
    • Non-motorized rowboats.


    • Any boat owned by the U.S. government.
    • Boats documented with the U.S. Coast Guard
    • Boats registered in another state and not kept in Wyoming for an extended amount of time.

    Requirements and Procedures

    1. Complete a Wyoming Watercraft Application.
    2. Photocopy your notarized bill of sale.
    3. Photocopy your Wyoming Sales/Use Tax receipt.
    4. Mail all of the above, along with a check for all applicable fees, to the address located at the bottom of the application.

    Detailed information for all types of transactions are included on the application.


    • 1 year: $15
    • 3 years: $40

    Fees are the same for all types of boats and sizes.

    Boat Titling

    All motorized watercraft must be titled with your local county clerk. Titling must occur before registering.

    After purchasing, 30 days without it being titled. But you must be ready to provide one of the following:

    • A bill of sale from a motorized boat dealer.
      • A notarized bill of sale with the seller's name, your name and a description of the boat with the correct hull identification number.
      • A copy of a properly transferred title.
      • A copy of a notarized affidavit by the boat's builder with the boat's description and completion date.

      If the boat is homemade you can get hull-identification-numbering information by calling the Wyoming Fish and Game Department's Cheyenne office at (307) 777-4600

      Renewals and Replacements

      Registrations are valid for either 1 year or 3 years. The registration will expire on December 31st in 1 year or 3 years depending on which length of registration you chose previously. You may receive a renewal notice, if you do not, the last 2 digits on your hull decal will display the expiration year. 

      Renew Online

      The ability to renew online is currently unavailable. You can purchase your Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) decal online.

      Renew by Mail

      Mail your renewal notice and your fee to:

      • Wyoming Game and Fish Department
      • Watercraft Section
      • 5400 Bishop Blvd
      • Cheyenne, WY 82006

      If you don't have your renewal notice:

      • Complete a Wyoming Watercraft Application.
      • Photocopy your previous registration card.
      • Mail both documents, along with the proper fee, to the above address.

      Renew in Person

      Drop off your renewal form at any Wyoming  Game and Fish Department office .

      Replace Lost Registration

      Complete a Wyoming Watercraft Application and mail it to the address located at the bottom of the application. Include the fee of $5.

      Boater License

      No one younger than 16 years old can operate a numbered motorboat unless an adult is on board.

      Boater Safety Courses

      If interested, take an online safe boating course through

    Related Content

    Provide Feedback

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Boat Registration and Licenses in Another State?