Vehicle Code in Wyoming
The Wyoming Motor Vehicle Statutes
The Wyoming statutes reflect the collective decision-making of generations of lawmakers representing every nook and cranny of the state. Some of the acts are the end result of debate and compromise; others simply convey conventional wisdom and common sense. Still, others clearly display Wyoming's progressive heritage.
The statutes are updated each year, with various additions and deletions, just after the legislative assembly meets to hammer out prospective laws to send to the governor. Once the governor signs a bill or modified bill, it is added to or updated in the statutes.
So, if you ever need to peruse the bare-bones basics of how Wyoming regulates itself and glean an understanding of the overall government hierarchy, this is where the search should commence.
The Wyoming motor vehicle code is a great way to gain an understanding of traffic laws, licensing procedures, and vehicle registration/titling regulations.
Title 31: Motor Vehicles
Title 31 of the Wyoming statues is where you will come across the section on motor vehicles. The section is split up into 18 chapters, many containing very detailed articles. In these chapters and articles are all the laws regulating motor vehicles in the state of Wyoming.
The information is presented in rather esoteric form. But if you stick with it, slogging through the legal-speak might uncover some hidden finds that may come in handy if you are ever in a situation where you are defending yourself, say, in traffic court.
Of course, there are many other reasons to mine for information in the vehicle code, whether you are looking for information on WY driver's licenses or vehicle registration.
The following list highlights the most relevant sections to most vehicle owners and drivers.
- Chapter 2―Title and Registration
- Article 1―Certificates of Title
- Article 2―Registration
- Article 4―Snowmobiles
- Article 5―Mobile Homes
- Article 7―Off-Road Vehicles
- Chapter 3―General Fees
- Chapter 4―General Offenses and Penalties
- Chapter 5―Regulation of Traffic on Highways
- Article 1―In General
- Article 2―Operation of Vehicles Generally
- Article 3―Speed Regulations
- Article 4―Traffic-Control Devices
- Article 5―Stopping, Standing, and Parking
- Article 6―Pedestrians' Rights and Duties
- Article 7―Bicycles
- Article 8―Snowmobiles
- Article 9―Equipment
- Article 11―Accidents
- Article 12―Offenses, Penalties, and Enforcement
- Article 13―Child Safety Restraints
- Article 14―Seatbelt Usage
- Article 15―Motorcycle Safety Education Program
- Article 16―Off-Road Recreational Vehicles
- Chapter 6―Implied Consent to Chemical Testing
- Chapter 7―Driver's Licenses
- Article 1―In General
- Article 2―Driver License Compact
- Article 3―Commercial Driver's License
- Chapter 8―Identification Cards
- Chapter 9―Motor Vehicle Safety Responsibility
- Chapter 10―Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage
- Chapter 18―Commercial Vehicles
Check Your WY Driver's License Status
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver's license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver's license is currently valid. Should your license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what's on record with the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT). This report will also show points against your license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.