Lemon Law in Wyoming
Although Wyoming does not have an expressly titled lemon law, it does have a statute (40-17-101) on the books protecting consumers against faulty vehicles purchased under warranty.
Despite the lack of a conspicuous moniker, the basics of the law are quite similar to the lemon laws of most other states. The law essentially gives buyers an out if all else fails with their vehicles.
When a Car is a Lemon
To qualify as a lemon vehicle in Wyoming, your vehicle must be brand new and still under the manufacturer warranty. You must also give the car dealer a "reasonable" number of opportunities to repair the defect, which amounts to either:
- 3 attempts within 1 year.
- 30 days in the repair shop within 1 year.
If your vehicle matches the above description, you may want to get in contact with a WY lemon law attorney.
Filing a Lemon Law Claim in Wyoming
If the 3 attempts or 30 days come to pass and the vehicle is still not fixed, the initial step is to contact the dealer or manufacturer representative in your locale. Most likely, if you have kept detailed notes of the garage time and held onto all of the paperwork, the issue will not have to go much further.
The law clearly states that the manufacturer must take one of two actions:
- Replace the vehicle with the same or a comparable model, complete with the option package that was on the original vehicle.
- Refund all monies, either to the consumer or to the lien holder.
If for some reason you run into roadblocks when dealing with the manufacturer, and you possess all the paperwork showing you meet the definition of the lemon statute, contact the Consumer Protection Unit of the Wyoming Attorney General's Office at (307) 777-7841.
Another option is to refer the matter to a legal representative. Engaging a lemon law attorney as soon as you realize you have a lemon on your hands can help avoid the manufacturer trying to stall the process.
An attorney who specializes in these types of cases will know exactly what moves the manufacturer will make, and can take steps to mitigate them. Having legal help also frees you from wasting your precious time haggling on the phone and in writing with a huge auto conglomerate―you've already wasted enough time taking your lemon to the shop.
Hiring a WY Lemon Law Attorney
If you decide to file a lawsuit against the vehicle manufacturer, a lemon law attorney could be just the help you need to start moving the process along. An attorney can also:
- Answer any questions you may have about the WY lemon law.
- Negotiate with the car dealer or vehicle manufacturer before the case goes to court.
- Represent you in Wyoming court.
- Prepare all required court documentation.
Benefits of Lemon Law Attorneys
To increase the chances of winning your lemon law case, make sure your attorney is:
- Knowledgeable about Wyoming lemon laws.
- Highly recommended.
- You might try reaching out to your friends and family for a good referral.
- Honest and reliable.
- Be sure to ask your attorney about his or her rates before you proceed.
It's best to schedule appointments with several lawyers, so you can choose the one with the strongest experience and most reasonable fees.