Smog & Emission Checks in West VirginiaBecause smog and emissions checks help control pollution, many states are adopting them as a way to help with pollution control efforts. West Virginia has not yet adopted smog and emissions checks as a requirement for vehicle registration; however, this doesn't mean you shouldn't keep your vehicle as environmentally friendly as possible. The following tips can help.
- Keep your engine clean and running properly. Even if your engine is clean and otherwise running properly, though, it could still fail a smog and emissions exam if all components and systems aren't working correctly.
- Pay attention to your "check engine" light. If it's on, it could simply be a malfunction, or it might really be indicative of a problem.
- Depending on the engine type, vehicle type, and manufacture year, modern engines use different smog control devices. Check to make sure your EGR valves, air or smog pumps, vacuum tubing and connections, oxygen sensors, and catalytic converter are working properly, or have a professional check for you.
- Don't forget to make sure your gas cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and distributor cap and rotor are in working order.
By making sure that your vehicle is running properly, you are not only helping to reduce pollution, but you are also saving yourself some money. Your vehicle's engine will burn fuel more efficiently if maintained, and making the most of fuel will help you save money on skyrocketing gas prices.
For more information about vehicle pollution, check out the Environmental Protection Agency's section called Clean Cars, Clean Air.
Local Smog Check Stations
Choose a County
Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸