New to West Virginia
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
This entire beautiful state lies in the Appalachian Highlands of the eastern United States and is full of forested mountains and deep, narrow valleys. Residents and visitors of West Virginia enjoy camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing―more enjoyable recreation than we can name here! But before you drive yourself to any of the state's gorgeous locations, you'll need to follow these procedures.
Newcomers to West Virginia who wish to drive will need to visit their local Department of Motor Vehicles office. You must apply for a new license within 30 days of establishing residency. If you don't have your out-of-state license, you will need to obtain a certified driving record from the state in which you were previously licensed.
If you have a valid, non-expired out-of-state license, you may transfer your license here. Procedures for transferring your out-of-state license and obtaining a West Virginia driver's license include:
- Presenting all necessary documents
- Surrendering your out-of-state license
- Passing a vision test
- Completing an alcohol awareness course
- Passing a written examination if you are younger than 18
- If you have a motorcycle endorsement on your license, it can be transferred for a low fee
If you have an expired out-of-state license, you will be required to take all steps and all examinations for first-time applicants, including vision, hearing, and road tests.
If your out-of-state license is suspended or revoked, you must receive clearance with the Problem Driver Point System (PDPS) before taking any other steps.
If you have a vehicle, you must also title and register it within 30 days of moving here.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.