Driver Handbook in West VirginiaPage Overview
Continue reading this page for links to the various West Virginia manuals you can read to help you become a safer driver.
The West Virginia Driver’s Licensing Handbook is designed to teach you how to operate a vehicle safely and pass the DMV written test. Included is information about:
- The driver’s licensing process.
- The DMV written knowledge exam.
- Signs, signals, and road markings.
- The WV DMV point system.
- Traffic laws.
- Rules of the road.
- Vehicle inspections.
- Reacting to emergency situations.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI).
Once you’re finished reading the manual, you can test your knowledge by taking an online WV driver’s license practice test.
To successfully obtain your commercial driver’s license (CDL) in West Virginia, you’ll need to study the WV Commercial Driver License Manual thoroughly. Subjects include:
- Driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safely.
- How to apply for a CDL.
- West Virginia DMV commercial driver skills test.
- Adding an endorsement to your CDL.
- Suspended CDL.
- Air brakes.
- How to become an organ donor.
- Safety when transporting hazardous materials.
- School buses.
The West Virginia CDL manual also contains series of sample questions to prepare you for the written exam. For additional study questions, complete an online CDL practice test.
If you're going to apply for a motorcycle license in West Virginia, be sure to study the West Virginia Motorcycle Operator Manual. You’ll learn about:
- Steps to apply for a WV motorcycle license.
- Knowledge and skills tests.
- Wearing the right helmet.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Carrying passengers and cargo.
- Changing lanes safely.
- Riding in a group.
- Avoiding collisions.
To get more help in studying for the exam, take an online motorcycle practice test.
The West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) also provides online access to the following manuals:
- A Synopsis of West Virginia Boating Rules and Laws.
- International Registration Plan (IRP) Manual.
For a complete list of available manuals and brochures, visit the WV DMV website.
The West Virginia Vehicle Code outlines all the rules and regulations related to driver’s licenses, traffic tickets, vehicle title and registration procedures, and more.
If you've recently received a traffic ticket, reading the code may give help you understand your charge, and may also be helpful if you wish to fight the ticket in court. To learn how to respond to a traffic citation in West Virginia, visit our Traffic Tickets page.Other Topics in This Section