Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Paperwork When Selling a Car in West Virginia

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Required Paperwork

    Although the paperwork required when selling a car varies according to the situation, these forms should cover most scenarios:

    For additional online forms, including title applications, visit Applications and Forms.

    Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability

    You must submit a Sold Vehicle or Watercraft Notice (Form DMV-1-S) no earlier than 60 days after you sell the vehicle. This prevents the buyer from operating the vehicle until it's registered in his or her name and, in return, protects you against vehicle liability.

    Selling Without Paperwork

    The DMV warns against selling a vehicle if you can't produce the title. Without the previous title, the buyer won't be able to get a new title in the buyer's name and register the car. The registration information is handy to give to the buyer, too, although you don't need the registration to complete the sale.

    If you want to sell a vehicle and you can't find the title, visit our Replacing a Lost Title section to find out how to apply for a duplicate title before you initiate a sale.

    Bill of Sale

    A bill of sale is required in most situations (visit our Car Registration page for more information on this). If needed, you can easily download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctor's first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More Organ Donor Myths ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸