Salesperson License in West Virginia
Instructions for people employed before June 8, 2006 are included in the Motor Vehicle Salesperson License Application.
Instructions for people employed after June 8, 2006 are outlined below.
The application process for the vehicle salesperson license consists of seven fairly straightforward steps:
- Request fingerprint cards from any of the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Regional Offices . Submit cards of fingerprints before testing, and have valid picture identification in order to be fingerprinted.
- Download and complete the Motor Vehicle Salesperson License Application. Or, pick one up from your nearest WV DMV Regional Office. Make sure your employer completes the required sections.
- Take your fingerprint cards, your valid picture identification, and your completed application to your local WV DMV Regional Office.
- Pay $7 per each year you'll be licensed. The number of years depends on your birthday, with a maximum of 5 years. This fee covers 1 attempt at the exam. (See below for more information about the exam.)
- If you pass, pay the $25 fee for a background investigation.
- Receive your temporary Salesperson License Photo Identification Card. This card is valid for 90 days, during which time you should receive the results of your background investigation.
- Wait for your background investigation results. Once they're in, the DMV will notify you and your temporary status will automatically change to permanent status.
Note that your employer―the dealer for whom you are working―can help you contact the local inspector should you need to at any point.
The Vehicle Salesperson Exam
As mentioned above, your license fee covers the cost of one exam. That fact, coupled with the fact that you can only take it once per week until you pass, makes it extra important to pass on your first try, right?
Salesperson License Renewal
After your initial renewal period, you'll renew your license every 5 years for $10. If it's expired for more than 6 months, you'll have to go through the entire application process again.
Duplicate Salesperson License
If you lose your license, or it becomes stolen or damaged, you must pay $5 for a duplicate.
Transferring Salesperson Licenses
If you move to a new dealership, you have 10 days within the end date and hire date to notify the division, using the Salesperson Notification of Change (Form DMV-12-DS), and you must pay a $5 transfer fee.
Send the completed form and fee to the address on the form.
Note that you'll need the signatures of both your former employer and your new employer.