- Location: West Virginia
Boat Registration and Licenses in West VirginiaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
All motorized vessels.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized sailboats.
- Coast Guard documented boats.
- Motorboats participating in a race.
- A boat from another country temporarily using West Virginia's waters.
- A boat registered in another state and not kept in West Virginia for a certain amount of days.
- Complete an Application for a Certificate of Title for a Motor Boat (Form MB-6).
- Include the boat's title if it was titled in another state.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Drop off at any Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office or mail to the address located at the bottom of the application.
Fees are based on your boat's length:
- Class A (less than 16 feet): $30
- Class 1 (between 16 and less than 26 feet): $45
- Class 2 (between 26 and less than 40 feet): $60
- Class 3 (40 feet or longer): $75
Boat registrations are valid for three years
Renew by Mail
Mail a completed Application for Motorboat Renewal to the address on your renewal notification. Include either a personal property tax receipt or an affidavit of exemption from your county assessor's office.
Renew in Person
Replace Lost Registration
Anyone born after December 31, 1986, must complete a Boater Education Course to operate a motorboat in West Virginia.
- Online: Take a state-approved course through BoaterExam.com.
Other Topics in This Section
- Classroom: The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks