- Location: West Virginia
Boat Registration and Licenses in West VirginiaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
All motorized vessels.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized sailboats.
- Coast Guard documented boats.
- Motorboats participating in a race.
- A boat from another country temporarily using West Virginia's waters.
- A boat registered in another state and not kept in West Virginia for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Complete an Application for a Certificate of Title for a Motor Boat.
- Include the boat's title if it was titled in another state.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Drop off at any Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office or mail to the address located at the bottom of the application.
Titling and tax collection on all motorboats purchased in West Virginia became effective on July 1, 1989. Any new resident of WV is not required to title his or her motorboat unless there is a change in ownership.
Fees are based on your boat's length:
- Class A (less than 16 feet): $30
- Class 1 (between 16 and less than 26 feet): $45
- Class 2 (between 26 and less than 40 feet): $60
- Class 3 (40 feet or longer): $75
For all classes, you must also pay a 5% tax on the purchase price of both the vessel and the trailer, plus a $10 fee for the title.
Boat registrations are valid for three years and expire on March 31 of the year indicated on your registration.
Renew by Mail
Mail a completed Application for Motorboat Renewal to the address on your renewal notification. Include either a personal property tax receipt or an affidavit of exemption from your county assessor's office.
Renew in Person
Replace Lost Registration
Anyone born after December 31, 1986, must complete a Boater Education Course to operate a motorboat in West Virginia.
Other Topics in This Section
- Online: Take a state-approved course through BoaterExam.com.
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel