Vehicle Code in West Virginia
Being familiar with, or being able to research, vehicle code in West Virginia is handy not only for those who have received a citation for any kind of violation related to motor vehicles, but for everyone. Actually, vehicle code includes all kinds of useful information. For your convenience, the West Virginia legislature provides an online version of West Virginia code.
Chapter 17: Roads and Highways
Chapter 17 of the West Virginia vehicle code deals with roads and highways, and covers everything from driver's licenses and titles, to salvage yards and waste tire remediation; simply put, it is quite extensive. Below is a simplified outline of each section in the chapter.
- Division of Motor Vehicles
- Uniform Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Act
- Original and Renewal of Registration; Issuance of Certificates of Title
- Transfers of Title or Interest
- Permits to Nonresident Owners
- Licensing of Dealers and Wreckers or Dismantlers; Special Plates; Temporary Plates or Markers
- Special Stickers
- Special Anti-Theft Laws
- Offenses Against Registration Laws and Suspension or Revocation of Registration
- Fees for Registration, Licensing, etc.
- Issuance of License, Expiration, and Renewal
- Requirement of Compliance with Selective Service Registration
- Cancellation, Suspension, or Revocation of License
- Violation of License Provisions
- Obedience to and Effect of Traffic Laws
- Traffic Signs, Signals, and Markings
- Serious Traffic Offenses
- Speed Restrictions
- Driving on Right Side of Roadway; Overtaking and Passing; etc.
- Turning and Starting and Signals on Stopping and Turning
- Pedestrians' Rights and Duties
- Operation of Bicycles and Play Vehicles
- Special Stops Required
- Stopping, Standing, and Parking
- Miscellaneous Rules
- Inspection of Vehicles
- Size, Weight, and Load
- Procedure Upon Arrest and Reports in Criminal Cases
- Funeral Processions
- Administration of Law
- Security Following Accident
- Proof of Financial Responsibility for the Future
- General Provisions
- Commercial Driver's License
- Notification Required by Driver
- Employer Responsibilities
- Commercial Driver License Qualification Standards
- Notification of Traffic Convictions
- Regulation of All-Terrain Vehicles
- Safety Awareness Courses
- Private Property Exemption
- Applicability of Rules of Operation
- Criminal Penalties
- Racial Profiling Data Collection
- Analysis of Traffic Stops Study and Annual Report by Director of the Governor's Committee on Crime, Delinquency, and Correction
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your West Virginia driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your driver's license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what’s on record with the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. This report will also show points against your driver's license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.
For more information about some related topics, please visit our pages on:
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.