Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • RV & Motorhome Registration in Wisconsin

    Recreational vehicles (RVs) and motor homes are treated the same as regular motor vehicles in Wisconsin, which means you must title and register them with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT).

    To register your RV or motorhome, you'll need several documents, a registration and title application, and the appropriate fees. Read below for more detailed information about RV and motorhome registration requirements.

    WI RV & Motorhome Registration

    To get your motor home or RV registered and titled at your local DMV service center, you'll need:

    • The certificate of title, signed of by the previous owner. It CANNOT be a photocopy.
    • A Wisconsin Title/License Plate Application (Form MV1), with the gross vehicle weight and length in the appropriate space on the form.
    • Your driver's license or other ID if you apply in person.
    • Your own license plate to transfer to the new RV or motor home, if you plan to transfer plates.
    • The registration fee if you don't have your own plates to transfer or if your license plates will expire within 3 months.
    • A check or money order for fees and taxes made payable to Registration Fee Trust.
      • Title fee: $69.50.
      • License plate and registration fees, based on vehicle weight.
      • Sales tax, local sales tax, and wheel tax, based on the vehicle price and location.

    Wisconsin RV Registration Paperwork

    If you've purchased your vehicle from a dealer, they should care of the title transfer and registration for you.

    If you purchased from a private party, or need to register in person for any other reason, you can also use the registration providers to assist you in registering and re-titling your RV or motorhome.

    For information about renewing your vehicle registration, see our page Registration Renewal in Wisconsin.

    WI Manufactured/Mobile Home Registration

    Any manufactured home over 45 feet in length is exempt from vehicle registration in Wisconsin. This does not apply to 5th wheels, park-model RV trailers, and travel trailers. However, manufactured and mobile homes must still be titled.

    Titles for manufactured and mobile homes are handled by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS).

    Registering Small Trailers in WI

    Any homemade trailer weighing less than 3,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight does not need to be registered in Wisconsin. However, WisDOT suggests that you register and title the trailer if you plan to drive it outside of Wisconsin to ensure that it meets the registration guidelines of other states.

    All other trailers must be titled and registered, and should follow the guidelines listed on the DOT's mobile home and trailer page.

    Where Do I Send the Application?

    Motor homes should be registered with the DOT as with other motor vehicles. Send your application and other required documents to the appropriate address listed on the registration form.

    Mobile homes, manufactured homes, and trailers are registered based on the year and length of your vehicle. You may need to send your registration either to the Department of Transportation or the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS). Follow the mobile home/trailer registration guide.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.