- Location: Wisconsin
License Plates & Placards in WisconsinCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
Luckily, Wisconsin offers specialty, personalized, Tribal, and even disabled license plates.
Wisconsin wants to help you show your support, whether it's for a sports team or occupation, and they have a number of specialized license plates to let you do just that.
Here is a listing of the different specialized license plates available in Wisconsin:
- Green Bay Packers
- Ducks Unlimited
- Lao Veteran
- Automobile Hobbyist
- Endangered Resources Support
- Celebrating Children
- University of Wisconsin
- U.S. Veteran
- Various Military Groups
- Wisconsin National Guard
- Specially designed Vehicle
- Police Officer
- Rescue and EMT
Visit Wisconsin's Special License Plates page for specific ordering and fee information.
You may order personalized license plates (also known as vanity plates) on the regular Wisconsin license plate or on a number of the specialized license plates.
Before ordering, use the DMV's personalized plate lookup to check a plate number's availability.
Wisconsin has "reciprocal registration agreements" with a number of Indian tribes and bands. If you are registered, you may order Tribal license plates.
Visit Wisconsin's Tribal/Indian Band License Plates page for specific ordering and fee information.
Wisconsin motorcycles, too, may have both personalized and specialized} license plates, and Wisconsin offers several options, as well as ordering information, on their Motorcycle License Plates page.
If you have been determined to be disabled by a health care professional, either as a permanent disability or as a temporary disability, if your disabling condition meets specific requirements set by law, you may qualify for disabled parking license plates or a disabled parking identification placard.
Refer to our Drivers with Disabilities section for specific instructions.
To qualify for antique license plates your vehicle must:
- Be 1945 or older
- Be free of alterations or modifications
- Be driven only for display, parades, maintenance and storage purposes
To apply, you must submit:
- A photocopy of either the Wisconsin title or registration
- An Antique License Plate Application along with a letter articulating your intentions
- A check or money order for $5
If you just purchased the vehicle or if the title is from out-of-state, here's what to submit:
- A Wisconsin Title & License Plate Application
- Either the assigned Wisconsin title or out-of-state title
- A check or money order for $5 registration fee
- A title fee
- Sales tax, if applicable
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- Special Plates Unit
- P.O. Box 7911
- Madison, WI 53707-7911
Antique plate questions? Call: (608) 266-3041.
Wisconsin does not want your plates back if you move out of state. Keep the plates until you've registered in your new state, and then either destroy your Wisconsin plates or recycle them through your new state.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks