Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in Wisconsin

    If you are certified as having a disabling condition that interferes with your ability to walk, your license and registration processes may be a little different. Why? Because you may be eligible for disabled parking license plates or a disabled parking placard.

    Types of Disabilities and Identification

    There are two types of disabled parking identification―license plates and placards. There are also two different states of disabilities―permanent disability and temporary disability. The classification as to temporary or permanent disability is to be determined by your health care professional.

    Health Care Professionals

    Wisconsin recognizes the following health care professionals as qualified to confirm a disability:

    • Licensed physicians and surgeons.
    • Advanced practice nurses.
    • Chiropractors.
    • Licensed physician assistants.
    • Christian Science practitioner (in Wisconsin).
    • Authorized V.A. representative.

    Disabling Conditions

    Wisconsin has very specific rules for what conditions can be claimed for disabled parking. For a permanent disability, these include:

    • Inability to walk 200 feet or more without stopping to rest.
    • Restriction due to severe lung disease.
    • Requires the use of a portable oxygen unit.
    • Has a cardiac condition with class III or IV functional limitations.
    • Inability to walk without assistance from another person or the use of a brace, a cane, crutch or crutches, a prosthetic device, a wheelchair, or any other assistance device.
    • Severe limit in ability to ambulate due any arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
    • An equal degree of disability to those described above.

    How to Apply―Permanent Disability

    If you have a disabling condition and would like to apply for disabled parking privileges, whether permanent of temporary, you will need to do the following:

    • Print the Permanent Disability ID Card Application (Form MV2548), which is available online using the free Adobe Reader.
    • Complete the applicant section of the application.
    • Have your health care provider complete the eligibility section.
    • Check the box for plates or placards. If you do not have disabled parking plates, you may be issued two disabled parking placards; if you have license plates, you may have one parking placard.
    • Mail the completed application to:
      • Department of Transportation
      • Special Plates Unit
      • DIS ID
      • P.O. Box 7306
      • Madison, WI 53707

    How To Apply―Temporary Disability

    • Print the Temporary Disabled Parking Identification Permit (Form MV2933).
    • Complete the Applicant Section of the application.
    • Have your health care provider complete the eligibility section.
    • Enclose a check or money order payable to "Registration Fee Trust" in the amount of $6 for each ID card requested.
    • Mail the completed application along with your check or money order to the above address.

    These cards are honored in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. Each card is valid for 6 months. If you're going to be traveling longer than 6 months, you are allowed to apply for a second card.


    There is no fee for a permanent disability identification placard or for permanent disability license plates. There is, however a "counter fee" if you take your application to the DMV office in person. There is also a $6 fee for each temporary disability identification placard.

    Parking Privileges

    Having a disabled parking identification placard or license plate does not necessarily permit the disabled person or his or her driver to park anywhere, at any time. Red zones are still forbidden as are some hospital loading and unloading areas. Here's a list of the parking exceptions for those with a disabled identification placard or license plates:

    • Permitted to park in parking places reserved for people with a disability.
    • Exempted from the time limitations in those parking places designated as having a limit of 30 minutes or more.
    • Exempted from the payment of metered parking places with a 30 minute or more limit.
    • A driver with temporary or permanent disability identification placards or plates may purchase fuel from a full-service pump for the same price as fuel from a self-service pump.

    Information for Travelers

    Wisconsin honors disability license plates and parking placards from all other states and countries. Likewise, placards issued in Wisconsin are honored in all 50 states and Puerto Rico for as long as they are valid.

    Other Topics in This Section