Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Name Change in Wisconsin

    Wisconsin Name Change Package - $29.95

    These industry-leading Name Change Packages automate the completion of the forms required to change your name in Wisconsin. Just complete the quick questionnaire, print the forms, and file them. Changing your name has never been easier.

    Get Started

    Name Change Package
    Includes Forms for:

    • Drivers License
    • Vehicle Title
    • Registration
    • IRS
    • Voter Registration
    • US Passport
    • Bank Notification
    • Credit Card Notification
    • Insurance Notification

    Summary: How to Change Your Name in Wisconsin

    To change your name on your Wisconsin driver’s license/ID card, vehicle registration, and title certificate, you’ll need to submit various documents to the DMV in person. You’ll need proof of your name change, payment for replacement documents, and other documents.

    This page gives you all the information you need to change your name on your Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) records and obtain updated documents.

    Change Your Name with the SSA

    The first thing you should do after you change your name, is update the Social Security Administration (SSA). You will need to do this BEFORE updating your WI DMV documents.

    Submit the following documents to the SSA either by mail or in person:

    • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
    • Proof of your name change (e.g. court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree).
    • Proof of your identity (e.g. U.S. driver’s license, U.S. passport, ID card issued by the state).
    • Proof of your lawful presence in the U.S. (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, work authorization letter and I-94).

    Visit the SSA website for a list of documents you will need to submit. Make sure you choose “Corrected” as the type of card, and choose your citizenship status.

    Once your application is processed and approved, you will receive an updated Social Security card (with your new name) in the mail within about 10 business days.

    WI Driver’s License/ID Card Name Change

    NOTE: Before changing your name on your Wisconsin driver’s license or ID card, you must first update your Social Security card (see above).

    To change your name on your WI driver’s license or identification card, visit your local WI DMV office and:

    • Provide proof of your identity, such as your:
      • Current WI driver’s license (with photo).
      • Non-expired U.S. passport.
      • Social Security card.
    • Provide proof of your name change, such as your:
      • Marriage certificate (original/certified copy).
      • Record of divorce (certified).
      • U.S. passport showing your new name.
    • Surrender your current WI driver’s license or ID card.
    • Pay the fee:
      • Driver’s license: $14.
      • ID card: $16.

    You may also be asked to provide proof of your:

    • Name and birth date, such as your:
      • U.S. passport or foreign passport with current visa and I-94.
      • U.S. birth certificate.
      • Military ID card.
    • Wisconsin residency, such as your:
      • Paycheck (issued within 90 days).
      • Utility bills (issued within 90 days).
      • Rental agreement.
    • Legal U.S. status, such as your:
      • U.S. citizenship certificate.
      • Foreign passport, U.S. visa, and I-94.
      • Permanent resident card.

    Car Title & Registration Name Change

    When you have a name change, it’s optional to have it changed on your certificate of title and registration. If you choose to obtain updated documents, you’ll need to first update your name on your WI driver’s license (see above).

    Once your WI driver’s license shows your new name, you can request updated vehicle documents.

    You’ll need to submit the following to the WI DMV either by mail or in person:

    • Your current title certificate (or other ownership documents).
    • Payment for the $5 fee (per vehicle).

    Contact the Wisconsin DMV directly to confirm exactly what you need to do to obtain an updated certificate of title and registration document.

    NOTE: If there is a lien on your vehicle, your updated certificate of title will be sent to the lien holder. You will receive a Confirmation of Ownership.

    Fees to Change Your Name in WI

    To change your name on your Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) documents, you will need to pay the following fees:

    • Driver’s license: $14.
    • ID card: $16.
    • Certificate of title (including registration): $5 per vehicle.

    WI DMV offices accept payment by:

    • Cash.
    • Check.
    • Most debit cards.
    • MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards.

    If you are sending payment by mail, payment should be made by check or money order. Contact the WI DMV to confirm.

    Change Your Wisconsin Address

    If you move to another residence in Wisconsin, you must notify the DMV within 10 days. You can do this either:

    • By phone.
    • By mail.
    • Online.

    If you own a vehicle, you will also need to change your address with the United States Postal Service.

    Complete instructions and more information can be found on our Change of Address in Wisconsin page.

    Other Topics in This Section
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.