Special Licenses in Washington DC
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Special Driver's Licenses in Washington, D.C.
If you want to drive certain types of vehicles or hold certain driving jobs, you may need to apply for a new driver's license class or endorsement with the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
The application process for whichever type of driver's license or endorsement you need will be similar to that of your regular driver's license.
On this page you'll find a basic overview of some of the driver's license classes and endorsements available to you.
If you need information about applying for a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:
- Applying for a New License in Washington, D.C. (Drivers 18+).
- Applying for a New License in Washington, D.C. (Teen Drivers).
You'll need a commercial driver's license (CDL) in D.C. if you want to:
- Drive a heavy-weight vehicle.
- Drive vehicles designed to carry a large number of passengers.
- Transport hazardous materials.
For more information about obtaining a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Washington, D.C. page.
School Bus Drivers
If you want to drive a school bus, you must have a CDL along with a passenger and school bus endorsement. You may need to:
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Have a clean driving record.
- Complete a school bus driver's training program.
- Pass the driving test in a school bus.
For more information, please contact the DC DMV.
Shuttle Bus Drivers
Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. Drivers may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger endorsement. Check with your potential employer to find out if there are other requirements, including additional endorsements you may need.
If you're interested in driving a taxi in WA, D.C., you must have a "hack" license.
You'll need to present the D.C. DMV with:
- A completed District of Columbia Taxicab Commission DCTC Application.
- A completed Public Vehicle For Hire Vehicle Registration One Stop Form.
- An inspection verification form.
- Your valid D.C. driver's license.
- Your vehicle's registration.
- A photo ID.
- A business license, if applicable.
You don't need a special license to drive an all-terrain vehicle or an off-road vehicle. However, some vehicles may require you to be a certain age or pass a safety course.
You may be required to hold a motorcycle license to drive certain vehicles. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Washington, D.C. page.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.