Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost Registration in Washington DC

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    If you have lost your registration card or window sticker, or if it has been stolen or damaged, the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will issue a replacement. You must provide valid identification and a $20 duplicate registration fee.

    How to Apply

    You may apply for a new registration certificate and window sticker in person or online.

    NOTE: If you are changing your name or address on the registration card, you must apply for your replacement card in person.

    Apply Online

    You can apply online for a replacement registration card if you meet the following conditions:

    • The expiration date on your registration is more than 10 days away. If it is within 10 days, you will have renew your registration and pay the appropriate renewal fees.
    • The DMV has your current name and address on file, because the DMV will be sending your replacement registration card through the mail.
    • You have a valid method of payment. To get a replacement registration card online, you will need a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card to pay the $20 duplicate fee.

    You'll need to have your registered vehicle information (license plate and vehicle identification numbers), insurance information, and payment before you renew online.

    Apply in Person

    To replace your D.C. registration certificate in person, visit your local DMV branch. You'll need to bring:

    • Proof of identification (name and birth date).
    • Payment for your $20 duplicate registration fee.

    Replacing License Plates

    If you've lost your license plates (tags) or they have been stolen, or if you need a new set because of wear and tear, you can get replacements by going to a local DMV office and completing the following steps:

    • Bring your vehicle registration card.
    • Bring valid identification. You must be the owner of the vehicle to replace the plates.
    • Bring your current license plates if you have them. The District of Columbia requires you to surrender all plates if you are getting replacements. If you don't turn in your tags, you'll be responsible for any tickets associated with them.
    • If your license plates have been stolen, bring your required citizen complaint number. You can get this by filing a police report at any precinct or calling 311.
    • Pay the $10 tag replacement fee (the fee is the same for regular, personalized, and organizational tags).
    Organ Donation Survey

    Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?

    Yes No

    Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.

    Update Your Organ
    Donor Information ▸