- Location: Washington DC
Replacing a Lost Registration in Washington DCCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
If you have lost your registration card or window sticker, or if it has been stolen or damaged, the Washington, D.C., Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will issue a replacement. You must provide valid identification and a $7 duplicate registration fee.
You may apply for a new registration certificate and window sticker in person or online.
You can apply online for a replacement registration card if you meet the following conditions:
- The expiration date on your registration is more than 10 days away. If it is within 10 days, you will have to also renew your registration and pay the appropriate renewal fees.
- The DMV has your current name and address on file, because the DMV will be sending your replacement registration card through the mail.
- You have a valid method of payment. To get a replacement registration card online, you will need a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card to pay the $20 duplicate fee.
You'll need to have your registered vehicle information (license plate and vehicle identification numbers), insurance information, and payment before you renew online.
Apply in Person
If you are changing your name or address on the registration card, you must apply for your replacement card in person. Go to your local DMV office with valid identification and the $20 duplicate registration fee.
If you've lost your license plates (tags) or they have been stolen, or if you need a new set because of wear and tear, you can get replacements by going to a local DMV office and completing the following steps:
Other Topics in This Section
- Bring your vehicle registration card.
- Bring valid identification. You must be the owner of the vehicle to replace the plates.
- Bring your current license plates if you have them. The District of Columbia requires you to surrender all plates if you are getting replacements. If you don't turn in your tags, you'll be responsible for any tickets associated with them.
- If your license plates have been stolen, bring your required citizen complaint number. You can get this by filing a police report at any precinct or calling 311.
- Pay the $10 tag replacement fee (the fee is the same for regular, personalized, and organizational tags).
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks