Renewing Your License in Washington DC
Renew Your Washington, D.C. Driver's License
When your Washington, D.C. driver's license is set to expire, you'll need to submit a renewal application to the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (D.C. DMV).
Continue reading this page to find out how to renew your WA, D.C. driver's license before it expires.
To get info about other types of driver's licenses or permits, please visit any of the following links:
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) renewals
- Washington, D.C. ID cards
- Driver's permits
- Motorcycle licenses
When to Renew Your D.C. Driver's License
In order to drive, you must hold a D.C. driver's license and renew it every 8 years.
If the D.C. DMV has your current address, you should receive a renewal reminder in the mail 60 days before your driver's license expires. You are not required to bring this card with you to the D.C. DMV office when you renew.
Expired Driver's License
There are no additional fees if you let your driver's license expire; however, if you allow it to be expired for 365 days or more, you will need to re-take the written test when you renew. If your license has been expired for longer than 5 years, you must also take the road test again.
NOTE: Expired D.C. driver's licenses must be renewed in person.
Renew Your Washington, D.C. Driver's License
If you're a U.S. citizen, your Washington, D.C. driver's license is valid for 8 years at a time. If you're a non-U.S. citizen, your driver's license will have an expiration date based on the expiration of your immigration documents.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to renew your D.C. driver's license online, by mail (see “Out-of-State D.C. Residents & Military" below), or in person at your local D.C. DMV office.
NOTE: If you're 70 years old or older, you must renew your driver's license in person.
You CANNOT renew your D.C. driver's license using the online system if:
- Your last renewal was also completed online.
- You do NOT have a REAL ID or limited purpose driver's license.
- Your driver's license has been expired for more than 365 days.
- You recently changed your address or name and haven't notified the D.C. DMV.
- You are 70 years old or older (you must renew in person).
- Your driver's license does NOT have a digital photograph and signature.
- Had a recent change in your medical condition or vision.
If you're eligible, you'll need to have the following available:
- Your D.C. driver's license number.
- The control number from your renewal notice.
- If you do not have this number, you must provide your first and last names, Social Security number (SSN), and date of birth.
- Payment for the $47 renewal fee using VISA, MasterCard, or Discover credit/debit card.
Remember to sign up as an organ donor.
You will receive an online driver's license certificate that you can use for 45 days until you receive your renewed driver's license in the mail.
To renew your Washington, D.C. driver's license in person, visit your nearest D.C. DMV office and bring:
- A completed DC Driver License or Identification Card Application (Form DMVR-4).
- If you are 70 years old or older, your physician must complete the appropriate section on the form.
- Your current D.C. driver's license.
- Proof of your identity, D.C. residence, and Social Security number (SSN), if you do not have a REAL ID.
- Proof of your name or address change(s), if applicable.
- Payment for the $47 driver's license renewal fee.
NOTE: Non-citizens must contact the DMV at (202) 737-4404 for information on renewing.
You will be issued a REAL ID driver's license.
Out-of-State D.C. Residents & Military
If you're temporarily living outside of Washington D.C. you will only be able to renew online if you have a Real ID Driver's license. With the change to Real ID compliant cards on May 1st, 2014 your personal information must be on file with the DMV. This information includes:
- Proof of identity (full legal name and birthdate).
- Social Security Number.
- Lawful presence in the United States.
- Proof you claim Washington D.C. as your place of residence.
Fees to Renew Your D.C. Driver's License
The cost to renew your Washington, D.C. driver's license is $47 and your renewed license will be valid for 8 years.
Washington, D.C. DMV offices accepts the following payment methods:
- Money orders.
- VISA, Discover, or MasterCard.
Online renewals must be paid by VISA, Discover, or MasterCard credit/debit card.
Some offices may not accept a specific payment method. Be sure to contact your local WA, D.C. DMV office before your visit to make sure your method of payment is accepted.