Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Washington DC

    Washington, D.C. Special Vehicles

    In Washington, D.C., the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) not only requires you to register your car, but you must register other types of vehicles, too. If you have a motorcycle, trailer, or other type of vehicle that you wish to operate on public roads, you will need to have it registered.

    Make sure you're aware of all the requirements before you take your vehicle out for a spin to avoid fines and other penalties.

    ATVs and Snowmobiles

    The Washington, D.C. DMV does not require you to title or register all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) or snowmobiles because the use of these vehicles on any public property, including public roads and highways, is banned in the district.

    Washington, D.C. Trailers

    To title and register your trailer, you should follow normal car titling and registration procedures. However, you will have to pay a different fee based on the weight of your trailer. To check how much your registration and title will cost, see the DMV's fee list.

    To register your trailer, you'll be required to visit your local D.C. DMV office and:

    • Show proof of your insurance coverage.
    • Present your WA, D.C. driver's license or identification card.
    • Pay the required fees.

    Once registered, the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles will issue you a tag which you must place at the rear of the trailer and ensure it is visible at all times.

    For more information, see our Register Car in Washington, D.C. page.

    To register a travel trailer, see our resource page for RVs and motorhomes.

    Motorcycles & Motorized Bikes

    You need to register and title motorcycles and motor-driven cycles by following normal motorcycle registration procedures. Costs vary depending on the type of motorized vehicle. To check how much your registration and title will cost, see the WA DMV's fee list.

    Scooters and mopeds are generally considered motorized bicycles need to be registered in Washington, D.C. Remember, you must be at least 18 years old to operate a motorized bicycle, and you'll need a driver's license.

    Low Speed Vehicles in WA, D.C.

    Low speed vehicles must also be registered in Washington, D.C. Low speed vehicles include those with 4 wheels and have a top speed of over 20 MPH (but no more than 25 MPH), such as golf carts.

    You will need to have a valid driver's license, insurance coverage, and have a vehicle inspection completed before you can have it registered in the state.

    Motorhome and RV Registration

    If you have a motorhome or RV in Washington, D.C., the DMV requires you to register it just like you would a regular vehicle. Fees may vary depending on the size of your motorhome.

    Follow the instructions on our Register Car in Washington, D.C. page.

    Fees to Register Special Vehicles in WA, D.C.

    The Washington, D.C. DMV requires different fees depending on the vehicle you are registering. The following fees indicate what you'll pay per year to register your vehicle:

    • Motorcycle: $52.
    • Motor-driven cycle: $30.
    • Trailer: $50 to $550 (depending on weight).
      • Your registration fees will increase by $50 for every 1,000 lbs. it is over 11,000 lbs.

    For more information about registration fees, visit the D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.

    Accepted Payment Methods

    The D.C. DMV accepts payment by:

    • Cash.
    • Check.
    • Money order.
    • Credit card (VISA, MasterCard, and Discover only).
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.