Online Services in Washington DC
- Online Driver Services:
- Most Common Driver Services (online and otherwise)
- Washington DC Driver's License Testing and Educational Services
- Reports and Records for Individuals
- Other Washington DC Online Services
- Online Vehicle Services:
- Most Common Vehicle Services (online and otherwise)
- Vehicle Insurance Services
- Vehicle Buying and Selling Services
Have you ever found yourself lobbying for a better spot in line at your local motor vehicle agency? Fortunately, in Washington DC, you can save the stump speech. Washington DC offers numerous online driver and vehicle services so you can avoid an unnecessary trip to the DMV.
Typically, driver services are handled through the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby DC DMV office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Check the status of your drivers license online.
- Pay a license reinstatement fee online.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Renew your http://dmv.dc.gov/page/online-servicesDC driver's license online.
- Replace your DC drivers license online.
- Apply for an ID card.
- Renew your DC ID card online.
- Replace an ID card online.
- Verify the status of your ID card.
- Register for e-mail ticket alerts.
- Pay a ticket online.
- Pay a ticket payment installment online.
- Submit mail adjudication online.
- Schedule a moving violations hearing online.
- Change your address.
- Make a name change online with the state and beyond.
- Request a copy of your driving record.
Refer to our Drivers License & ID section if you don't see the online service you need; Our driver-related pages offer a wealth of information that can still save you some time.
- Schedule a road test appointment online.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take a DC drivers license practice test.
- Take a DC drivers permit practice test.
- Take a DC commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take a DC motorcycle license practice test.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study a Washington DC Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
Consult our Driver’s License Checklist for complete details on getting licensed in Washington DC.
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Typically, vehicle services are handled through the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles. We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. Because options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby DC DMV office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Schedule a vehicle inspection online with the DC DMV.
- Register your vehicle for the first time in Washington DC.
- Request a trip permit online.
- Renew DC vehicle registration online.
- Request a duplicate vehicle registration online.
- Cancel a tag registration online.
- Verify vehicle registration online.
- Verify an out-of-state title online.
- Request a duplicate title online.
- Learn more on DC smog check and emissions testing requirements.
- Obtain Washington DC license plates.
- Request personalized plates online.
- Check the status of a personalized plate order online.
- Locate a towed vehicle online.
- Request a residential parking permit online.
- Renew a DC residential parking permit online.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need: Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in Washington DC that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the &State_Nickname&.
- Sign up for or make an insurance installment payment to the state online.
- Verify insurance online with the DC DMV.
- Pay lapsed insurance fees online to the state.
- Buy car insurance.
- Buy motorcycle insurance.
- Buy commercial auto insurance.
- Buy boat insurance.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.