Driver Handbook in Washington DCPage Overview
Read this page to find links to the various driving manuals available in Washington, D.C.
The District of Columbia Driving Manual (available in multiple languages) is designed to help you pass the D.C. DMV driving and written knowledge tests. In addition to learning safe driving techniques, you’ll also read about:
- The Gradual Rearing of Adult Drivers (GRAD) program.
- Traffic signals, signs, and road markings.
- Driving in hazardous conditions.
- WA, D.C. traffic laws.
- How to become an organ donor.
- Registering to vote in Washington, D.C.
For further preparation before taking your exam, test your knowledge with an online practice test.
If you’re applying for your commercial driver license (CDL) in Washington, D.C., you’ll need to study the Commercial Driver License Manual thoroughly. Within it, you’ll find a range of topics, including:
- How to operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safely.
- Driving in dangerous conditions.
- Transporting hazardous materials.
- What to expect from your knowledge and road skills tests.
- CDL suspensions.
- Air brakes.
- School buses.
The WA, D.C. commercial driver manual includes a series of sample questions, which will give you an idea of what to expect on your DMV exam. For additional D.C. DMV study questions, check out the CDL practice tests available online.
Be sure to study the Washington, D.C. Motorcycle Manual (available in multiple languages) before applying for your motorcycle license. Subjects include:
- Motorcycle knowledge and skills tests.
- Proper safety clothing and gear.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Riding on dangerous surfaces.
- How to make proper lane changes.
- How to ride safely within a group.
For help studying for the exam, take an online D.C motorcycle practice test.
The D.C. DMV also offers inspection manuals online for:
- Passenger vehicles and light trucks.
- Trucks, buses, and trailers.
Browse through the WA, D.C. Vehicle Code (see Title 50. Motor and Non-Motor Vehicles and Traffic) for details about all laws in Washington, D.C. related to:
Other Topics in This Section
- Driver’s licenses.
- Vehicle registration.
- Road safety.
- Traffic violations.