DMV Driver Handbook in Washington DCPage OverviewSUMMARY: Washington, D.C. Driver Handbooks
The Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (D.C. DMV) provides various online manuals and handbooks to help you learn to drive. These include the WA, D.C. driving manual, commercial driver's license handbook, and handbook for motorcycle riders. If you're interested in the state's traffic and vehicle laws, the Vehicle Code is also available online.
Read this page to find links to the various drivers manuals and DMV handbooks available in Washington, D.C.
The District of Columbia Driving Manual (REV 2015) is designed to help you pass the D.C. DMV driving and written knowledge tests. In addition to learning safe driving techniques, you'll also read about the following in this DMV handbook:
- The Gradual Rearing of Adult Drivers (GRAD) program.
- Traffic signals, signs, and road markings.
- Driving in hazardous conditions.
- WA, D.C. traffic laws.
- How to become an organ donor.
- Registering to vote in Washington, D.C.
In addition to studying the driving manual, you can test your knowledge with an online practice test for further preparation before taking your exam.
The DMV handbook is also available in several different languages.
Be sure to study the Washington, D.C. Motorcycle Manual (REV 2007) before applying for your motorcycle license. Subjects covered in the motorcycle DMV handbook include:
- Motorcycle knowledge and skills tests.
- Proper safety clothing and gear.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Riding on dangerous surfaces.
- How to make proper lane changes.
- How to ride safely within a group.
For help studying for the exam, take an online D.C motorcycle practice test, in addition to studying the motorcycle DMV manual.
The motorcycle driving manual is also available in different languages.
If you're applying for your commercial driver license (CDL) in Washington, D.C., you'll need to study the Commercial Driver License Manual (REV 2009) thoroughly. Within the CDL DMV handbook, you'll find a range of topics, including:
- How to operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safely.
- Driving in dangerous conditions.
- Transporting hazardous materials.
- What to expect from your knowledge and road skills tests.
- CDL suspensions.
- Air brakes.
- School buses.
The WA, D.C. commercial drivers manual includes a series of sample questions, which will give you an idea of what to expect on your DMV exam. For additional D.C. DMV study questions, check out the CDL practice tests available online.
The D.C. DMV also offers inspection manuals online for:
- Passenger vehicles and light trucks.
- Trucks, buses, and trailers.
Other driver resources are available, besides the DMV handbooks and driving manuals.
Browse through the WA, D.C. Vehicle Code (see Title 50. Motor and Non-Motor Vehicles and Traffic) for details about all laws in Washington, D.C. related to:
- Driver's licenses.
- Vehicle registration.
- Road safety.
- Traffic violations.
Related ContentRecommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section