- Location: Washington DC
Paperwork When Selling a Car in Washington DCCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Page Overview
- Sign over your title to the buyer.
- If you have over six months remaining on the vehicle's registration, you're eligible for a registration refund. Parking permits and inspection fees, however, cannot be refunded.
You must remove the plates (license tags) from your vehicle and return them to the DMV. Failure to do so may make you liable for any traffic infractions incurred by the new owner. Upon turning them in, you'll receive a receipt. Keep this for your records as protection against any possible legal discrepancies.
You can return your license tags in person, or mail to:
- DC DMV
- Vehicle Registration
- P.O. Box 90120
- Washington, DC 20090
For certified mail, send to:
- DC DMV
- Processing Center
- 95 M Street SW
- Washington, DC 20024
You must have the title to legally process the sale. If you can't find the title, we outline how to go about getting a duplicate title in our Registration FAQs section.
You do not have to produce the registration at the time of the sale. However, doing so may facilitate the sale by showing the buyer that you've kept up the vehicle's paperwork.
Since the price of the vehicle will be recorded on the title, a bill of sale is not required. However, it's always wise to have for one for your personal records. You can easily download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard