Boat Registration and Licenses in Washington DC
Get Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
All vessels, including kayaks and canoes.
- Boats documented with the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Boats from other countries kept on District waters for less than 50 consecutive days.
- Registered boats from other states kept on District waters for less than 50 consecutive days.
- Boats used exclusively for racing.
Boat titles and registrations are handled by the Metropolitan Police Department's Harbor Patrol.
- Visit the Metropolitan Police Department's Harbor Patrol office located at 550 Water St. NW. Bring your boat's title if you've recently located to DC.
- Complete a Title/Registration form (unavailable online for downloading).
- Pay a 6% titling tax fee, a $2 title fee and a registration fee based on your boat's length (with either check or money order only).
For other boat registration situations (newly purchased, boats with liens, etc.) call (202) 727-4582 and ask for "boat registration."
- Less than 16 feet: $15
- 16 feet to less than 26 feet: $25
- 26 feet to less than 40 feet: $35
- More than 40 feet: $60
Boat registrations expire each year on December 31. Renewal notices are mailed in November.
Renew by Mail
Send to the address located on the renewal notice.
Renew in Person
Drop off your renewal notice at:
- 550 Water St. NW
- Washington, DC 20024
Replace Lost Registration
Visit the Harbor Patrol office with proof of identification. Free.
Anyone operating a boat in the District of Columbia is required to have a boating safety certificate.
- Online: Take an approved course through BoaterExam.com.
- Classroom: The Metropolitan Police Department's Harbor Patrol conducts courses.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.