Boat Registration and Licenses in Washington DCGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
All vessels, including kayaks and canoes.
- Boats documented with the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Boats from other countries kept on District waters for less than 50 consecutive days.
- Registered boats from other states kept on District waters for less than 50 consecutive days.
- Boats used exclusively for racing.
Boat titles and registrations are handled by the Metropolitan Police Department's Harbor Patrol.
- Visit the Metropolitan Police Department's Harbor Patrol office located at 550 Water St. NW. Bring your boat's title if you've recently located to DC.
- Complete a Title/Registration form (unavailable online for downloading).
- Pay a 6% titling tax fee, a $2 title fee and a registration fee based on your boat's length (with either check or money order only).
For other boat registration situations (newly purchased, boats with liens, etc.) call (202) 727-4582 and ask for "boat registration."
- Less than 16 feet: $15
- 16 feet to less than 26 feet: $25
- 26 feet to less than 40 feet: $35
- More than 40 feet: $60
Boat registrations expire each year on December 31.
Renew by Mail
Send to the address located on the renewal notice.
Renew in Person
Drop off your renewal notice at:
- 550 Water St. NW
- Washington, DC 20024
Replace Lost Registration
Visit the Harbor Patrol office with proof of identification. Free.
Anyone operating a boat in the District of Columbia is required to have a boating safety certificate.
- Online: Take an approved course through BoaterExam.com.
Other Topics in This Section
- Classroom: The Metropolitan Police Department's Harbor Patrol conducts courses.
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸