Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Motorcycle License in Washington

    Pass Your Test with DMV Cheat Sheets

    Get answers, save time and pass your motorcycle written test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets also offers:

    • Steps to getting your license
    • 50 essential study-guide questions
    • Traffic signs and signals

    Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.

    Purchase a DMV Written Test Cheat Sheet

    WA Motorcycle License

    To ride a motorcycle on Washington's streets and highways, licensed drivers must obtain a motorcycle endorsement from the Department of Licensing (DOL).

    Obtaining a motorcycle endorsement in Washington is a matter of taking the proper training and tests, including written and riding exams. You do not need an appointment for a written test, but you do need one for a riding test.

    To obtain a motorcycle endorsement, Washington drivers have two options:

    • You may complete an approved motorcycle rider course. This allows you to waive the knowledge and skills tests. Bring a Certificate of Completion to a Washington Licensing Services Office within 180 days of passing the course.
    • If you do not take an approved rider course, you must pass a written test based on the contents of the motorcycle rider's manual. This will allow you to obtain an instruction permit so you can practice for the riding test.

    To qualify for a motorcycle instruction permit in Washington, you must meet the following requirements:

    • Be at least 16 years old.
    • Possess a valid Washington driver's license.
    • Pass the motorcycle written test.

    You'll be asked to pay an application fee before taking the written test. Once you pass and are issued an instruction permit, you'll be allowed to ride on Washington roads, but with the following restrictions:

    • You may not carry passengers.
    • You may not ride at night.

    Once you've practiced and then taken the road test, the fee to be issued a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license is anywhere from $17 to $27 depending on how long until your driver's license next renewal. For Washington riders who are under 18 years old, parental or guardian approval is required.

    Washington does not require insurance for motorcycles, but riders do have minimum insurance requirements for financial responsibility.

    Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip: