Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • License Plates & Placards in Washington

    SUMMARY: Washington License Plates

    Most vehicles in Washington must have license plates to be legally driven on public roads. You can apply for a license plate by registering your car. You’ll renew your plates by renewing your vehicle registration, which can even be done online. If you already have WA tags, you can transfer your license plates when you buy a new car. You should replace plates and tabs that are lost, stolen, or damaged so that you have valid and legible plates on your vehicle.

    Keep reading this page for more information about license plates in Washington.

    NOTE: Do you qualify for disabled parking? Visit our disability placards and license plates page for more information.

    Types of Washington License Plates

    In Washington, most vehicles are required to have 2 license plates, one on the front and one on the rear of the vehicle. Trailers, semi-trailers, campers, mopeds, collector vehicles, horseless carriages, and motorcycles only have 1 license plate.

    The Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) issues license plates and tabs that go in the upper right hand corner of the rear license plate and show the expiration date of your registration.

    Other Types of License Plates

    Several special license plates and personalized plates are available from the Washington DOL.

    The WA DOL also issues disabled parking plates to qualifying individuals. Visit our Disability Plate and Placards page for guidelines.

    Temporary Tags

    When you buy a vehicle from a dealer, you can ask for a temporary tag that allows you to operate your vehicle on public roads until your registration and license plates are ready.

    If you buy from a private seller, you must register your vehicle in order to drive it.

    Apply for WA License Plates

    To get Washington license plates, you must register your vehicle with the Washington DOL.

    You’re required to register your vehicle:

    • Within 30 days of bringing your car from another state to WA.
    • Within 15 days of buying a vehicle from a private party or getting a vehicle as a gift.
      • Dealers will handle the registration process for you.

    Visit our Car Registration page for details, including how and where to register your vehicle.

    Renew License Plates in Washington

    To keep your plates valid, you’ll have to renew your vehicle registration. You can renew your plates up to 6 months before they expire.

    If you have had your plates for 7 years and they expire BEFORE January 1st, 2015, you may have to replace them. Your renewal notice will indicate whether replacement is required.

    On January 1st, 2015, the DOL will no longer require replacements as long as you own your vehicle.

    For more information, please visit our Registration Renewal page.

    Replace WA License Plates & Tabs

    If your license plates or tabs have been lost, stolen, or damaged, you will have to replace them:

    • Replace plates in person at a WA DOL office.
      • If your tags are stolen, you will NOT be able to get the same plate number.
    • Replace tabs in person or by mail.

    You are NOT required to report the theft or loss to local law enforcement, but you may choose to do so in case your license plates are used illegally.

    Before you apply for replacements, you need to confirm your address. You can:

    To apply for replacements, you will need to submit:

    • A signed AND notarized Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest/Gross Weight License (Form TD-420-040).
    • Your photo ID.
    • The appropriate fees, payable by cash or check:
      • License plate fees:
        • $27.75 for 2 license plates.
        • $7.75 for a motorcycle plate.
        • $15.75 for trailer and other vehicles with 1 license plate.
        • $4.25 for expiration tabs. They may be free if they were lost in the mail and reported within 90 days.
      • Other fees:
        • $5 service fee.
        • $20 additional fee to keep your current plate number.

    Submit your application in person at your local WA DOL office or by mail to the address on the form.

    If you request tabs by mail, you should receive them within 10 weeks.

    Transfer or Surrender WA Tags

    You can transfer your license plate to another car that has been titled and registered in your name.

    Before you apply for a transfer, you MUST confirm that your address is correct:

    You can then submit your license plate transfer materials:

    • By mail.
    • In person.

    You will need:

    • The registration of the vehicle that the plates will be transferred to.
    • A check or money order for registration and transfer fees.
    • If applying by mail, a letter indicating your intention to transfer the plate that includes:
      • Your license plate number.
      • Your current mailing and residence address.

    If you are not planning to transfer your plates, you can:

    • Bring them to your local vehicle licensing office.
    • Mail them to the Department of Licensing at:
      1125 Washington St. SE
      Olympia, WA 98504
    • Recycle or keep them.
      • Be sure to invalidate the license plates by removing the month and year tabs and bending the plates.

    Fees for Washington License Plates

    License plate and registration fees vary by vehicle type and the county you reside in. The fees below DO NOT include other registration fees, taxes, or service fees that you must pay.

    • New standard plates—Your registration fee will include the following license plate fees:
      • Passenger vehicle: $20.
      • Motorcycle: $4.
      • Truck: Varies by weight and use.
      • Trailer: Varies by weight and use.
      • Motorhome: $20.
      • Camper: $20.
    • Renewal of standard plates: Varies by vehicle type.
    • Replacement license plates:
      • 2 license plates: $27.75.
      • 1 license plate: $15.75.
      • Motorcycle plate: $7.75.
      • Replacement decals: $4.25. 
      • Fee to keep your plate number: $20.
    • License plate transfer: Varies by vehicle type.

    License Plate Search in WA

    You can use the WA DOL personalized license plate lookup to see if the number you want is available to order. The DOL provides specific guidelines for vanity plate letter and number combinations.

    As a member of the general public, you are not permitted to run license plate numbers or otherwise search for a registered vehicle owner. You can however, report a concern about a vehicle to the local police.

    For information about a vehicle, you can order a vehicle history report based on the vehicle identification number (VIN).

    Special and Personalized Plates

    The Washington DOL offers various special plates, personalized, and antique license plates. 

    Special Plates

    The state offers a range of special plates, including:

    • Washington colleges and universities.
    • U.S. military.
    • Parks and environment.
    • Sports and hobbies.
    • Service organizations and associations.

    Most of Washington's special plates cost $45 initially. A portion of the price goes to the organization or cause featured on the plate.

    Personalized Plates

    Personalized plates, also known as vanity plates, can be issued for most vehicles in Washington. They must have between 1 to 7 characters, including letters, hyphens, and spaces. Personalized motorcycle and trailer plates can have 1 to 6 characters. The Washington DOL provides a handy personalized plate search tool online so you can check to see if your choice is available.

    Personalized plates in Washington support the state's Wildlife Diversity Program. Fees will vary.

    Antique Plates

    Washington offers two types of plates specifically for older vehicles.

    Horseless carriage plates are for vehicles that are at least 40 years old. While the vehicle must be capable of being driven on a highway, it must primarily be used for antique exhibitions, parades, and related activities.

    The plate must stay with the vehicle, and cannot be used for other vehicles.

    Collector plates are for vehicles at least 30 years old that fit the other qualifications for a horseless carriage plate.

    To apply for either plate, complete the special license plate form, and take it along with your payment to a vehicle licensing office. Or, mail everything to:

    • Vehicle Licensing
    • Department of Licensing
    • PO Box 9909
    • Olympia, WA 98507

    The plates are permanent and don't need to be renewed.

    Horseless carriage plates for cars and trucks: $50.75

    Collector plate for cars and trucks: $51.75

    Restored Plates

    If your vehicle qualifies as a collector or horseless carriage vehicle, you may apply to use the vehicle's original model year plates. The plates must be Washington-issued and in a usable condition. Only one plate is required.

    You may transfer the plates to another vehicle of the same model year.

    It costs $50.75 to use the plates for cars and trucks, plus the usual registration fees. However, the plates are permanent and don't need to be renewed. To apply for permission to use the plates, follow the in-person instructions listed above and bring the plate(s) with you.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.