Identification Cards in Washington
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
There are two kinds of identification cards available: the regular Washington photo ID card and the newer Enhanced ID Card.
The former helps you write checks, board airplanes, check into hotels, and enter nightclubs while the latter helps you do all that plus acts as a passport alternative for re-entering the country at land and sea borders―just like the Enhanced Driver License.
Applying for a Regular ID Card
Follow these easy steps to apply for a regular Washington photo ID card:
- Apply for an ID card in person at any Licensing Service Office (LSO).
- You'll have to provide proof of identity in order to get your ID card.
- Pay a $45 fee.
- Have your photo taken.
Applying for an Enhanced ID Card
Applying for an Enhanced ID Card in Washington requires a few more steps:
- Make an appointment at your nearest EDL/ID office location.
- Complete the application at the EDL/ID office.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Show proof of residency, citizenship, and identity as well as your Social Security number.
- Undergo an interview with a licensing services representative.
- Sign the biometric identification and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) declarations.
- Get your picture taken.
Normally, you’ll renew your ID card five years after it’s issued, and you can renew it up to 90 days before that date.
Replacing and Renewing Regular ID Cards
For an online renewal transaction, the Department of Licensing will need to have your digital photo, Social Security number, and ZIP code on file. The fee for renewing your ID online is $45, and you'll need a credit card for payment.
Replacing and Renewing Enhanced ID Cards
- Make sure you can verify your address if it isn’t the same as the address listed with the USPS.
- Find out if you need to take proof of residency. According to Washington, if there are no results when you enter your address in the USPS Zip Code Lookup, you may need proof.
- A new or renewed ID is $45.
- A replacement for a lost or stolen ID is $20.
NOTE: The following office locations DO NOT accept credit or debit cards: Coulee Dam, Davenport, Friday Harbor, Forks, Goldendale, Newport, Republic, or South Bend.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback