Name Change in Washington
Washington Name Change Package - $29.95
Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automate the completion of the required forms to change your name in Washington. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms, and file them. It couldn't be easier.
Name Change Package
Includes Forms for:
- Drivers License
- Vehicle Title
- Voter Registration
- US Passport
- Bank Notification
- Credit Card Notification
- Insurance Notification
Continue reading this page to learn how to change your name with the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL).
When you change your name, you’ll need to update the Social Security Administration (SSA) and get an updated Social Security card.
You will need:
- A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Documents to prove your:
- Identity (e.g. U.S. passport, WA driver’s license, ID card).
- Lawful presence in the U.S. (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, work authorization and I-94).
- Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree).
See the SSA website for more information about which documents will be accepted.
Submit all of your documents to your local SSA office either in person or by mail.
Once your application is processed you should receive an updated Social Security in the mail within 10 business days.
To change your name on your Washington driver’s license or identification card, you must visit a WA DOL office in person. You will need:
- Proof of your identity, such as your:
- Marriage license.
- Court order.
- Divorce decree.
- Payment for the appropriate fee.
For a complete list of accepted documents, see the Washington DOL website.
If you own vehicle, you will also need to have your name changed on your registration and title (see below).
In addition to updating your Washington driver’s license, you’ll also need to change your name on your vehicle records. You’ll need a separate application for EACH vehicle you own.
NOTE: If you have a lien on your vehicle, you will need to complete the name change through your lienholder, not the WA DOL.
To change your name on your car (or boat) registration and title certificate, you will need:
- You current certificate of title (original only, copies will not be accepted).
- If you don’t have your title certificate, you will need a completed Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest/Gross Weight License (Form TD-420-040).
- A completed Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application (Form TD-420-001).
- Your name change authorization (copies accepted) OR a completed Vehicle/Vessel Owner Name Update Affidavit for Individual (Form TD-420-047) (certified or notarized).
- Payment for the required fees.
Submit all of the above to the Washington DOL either:
- In person at a WA DOL office or Quick Title office.
- By mail to:
Refunds and Title Services
Department of Licensing
P.O. Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507
The Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) will mail you your updated certificate of title within 10 weeks. If you submitted your documents in person at a Quick Title office, you will receive your updated certificate of title immediately.
To change your name on your WA driver’s license/ID card and vehicle documents, you’ll need to pay the appropriate fees:
- Driver’s license/ID card: $10.
- Title certificate:
- Regular: Title fees vary.
- Quick title: $50 plus other applicable fees.
NOTE: You may be charged an additional $12 service fee at some WA DOL offices.
Contact the WA DOL if you have any questions regarding fees and accepted payment methods.
Once you move in Washington, you must inform the DOL of your new address within 10 days. Changing your address can be done conveniently online on the WA DOL website.
For more information and for other options, visit our Change of Address in Washington page.