Boat Registration and Licenses in Washington
Get Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
Any boat or other water vessel that is 16 feet or longer, has a motor larger than 10 horsepower, or is used on federal waters.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoes.
- Non-motorized kayaks.
- Non-motorized rowboats.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in Washington for more than 60 days.
- Any U.S. Coast Guard-documented boat.
- Complete a Vessel Title Application. (A dealer will do this for you if you bought it there.)
- Provide proof you paid your boat's sales tax.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Drop off completed transaction at any Department of Licensing (DOL) office. Or, mail it to any Department of Licensing office.
Annual fee: $20.25
All boat registrations are valid for one year and expire on June 30.
Renew online using MasterCard, American Express, Visa or debit card.
Renew by Mail
Mail to the address on your renewal notice.
Renew in Person
Visit any DOL location. Bring your renewal notice.
Replace Lost Registration
Visit any DOL location with your boat's registration number. Cost: $5
Mandatory Boater Education schedule:
- January 1, 2012―All boat operators 40 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2013―All boat operators 50 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2014―All boat operators 60 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2015―All boat operators 70 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2016―All boat operators over 12 years old will be required to have a Boater Education card.
NOTE: Persons born before January 1, 1955 are exempt.
- Online: Take a state-approved online course through BoaterExam.com.
- Classroom: Courses are offered throughout the state.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.