- Location: Washington
Boat Registration and Licenses in WashingtonGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
Certain boats must be registered in Washington.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoes.
- Non-motorized kayaks.
- Non-motorized rowboats.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in Washington for more than60 days
- Any U.S. Coast Guard-documented boat.
- Complete a Vessel Title Application (Form TD-420-289 (A dealer will do this for you if you bought it there).
- Provide proof you paid your boat's sales tax.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Drop off completed transaction at any Department of Licensing (DOL) office. Or, mail it to any Department of Licensing office.
Basic fees include a yearly fee of $20.25 as well as a $5 agent fee. Other fees may apply depending on your vessel.
All boat registrations are valid for one year and expire on June 30.
Renew online using MasterCard, American Express, Visa or debit card.
Renew by Mail
Mail to the address on your renewal notice.
Renew in Person
Visit any DOL location. Bring your renewal notice.
Washington now has a mandatory boater education requirement. Anyone operating a boat with a motor of 15 hp or more must have a Boater Safety Education Card. Persons born before January 1, 1955 are exempt.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks