- Location: Washington
Boat Registration and Licenses in WashingtonGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
Any boat or other water vessel that is 16 feet or longer, has a motor larger than 10 horsepower, or is used on federal waters.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoes.
- Non-motorized kayaks.
- Non-motorized rowboats.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in Washington for more than 60 days.
- Any U.S. Coast Guard-documented boat.
- Complete a Vessel Title Application. (A dealer will do this for you if you bought it there.)
- Provide proof you paid your boat's sales tax.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Drop off completed transaction at any Department of Licensing (DOL) office. Or, mail it to any Department of Licensing office.
Annual fee: $20.25
All boat registrations are valid for one year and expire on June 30.
Renew online using MasterCard, American Express, Visa or debit card.
Renew by Mail
Mail to the address on your renewal notice.
Renew in Person
Visit any DOL location. Bring your renewal notice.
Replace Lost Registration
Visit any DOL location with your boat's registration number. Cost: $5
Mandatory Boater Education schedule:
- January 1, 2012―All boat operators 40 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2013―All boat operators 50 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2014―All boat operators 60 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2015―All boat operators 70 years old and younger.
- January 1, 2016―All boat operators over 12 years old will be required to have a Boater Education card.
NOTE: Persons born before January 1, 1955 are exempt.
- Online: Take a state-approved online course through BOATERexam.com. Click its link below for immediate class information.
Other Topics in This Section
- Classroom: Courses are offered throughout the state.
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks