Voter Registration in Vermont

Vermont takes the democratic process seriously, and encourages residents to register to vote by making the process easy and painless. As a Vermont resident, you can register to vote at the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or through your town or city clerk's office.

How to Register

At the DMV

The DMV's Application for License/Permit (Form VL021) also doubles as a voter registration form. Since most Vermont residents pass through the DMV's doors at some point to apply for a driver's license―and they all show proof of identity at the same time―it's a perfect marriage to have both applications on one form.

You will have the opportunity to register to vote when register your car, get a driver’s license, or renew your registration orlicense at the Vermont DMV.

Before completing the voter registration application, make sure you can prove you are 18 years old or older (or will be by the date of the general election), a Vermont resident, and a U.S. citizen. To do this, you will need to provide one form each of primary and secondary identification.

After completing the application, you will be required to take Vermont's Voter's Oath―a quick, one-time process. Your application will then be reviewed by your town or city clerk. You'll be notified within a few days if your voter application was approved.

With Your Town or City Clerk

To register to vote through your town or city clerk:

You will receive a receipt or a copy of your application from your town clerk by the week of the election. You will NOT receive a voter registration card.

Registration Deadline

If you want to make your voice count, your application must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the Wednesday before an upcoming election to either your town clerk or to your local DMV office. If you have any voting questions, call the Secretary of State Division of Elections at (800) 439-8683.

Outside of Vermont?

If you are out of the state on military assignment (or as a military dependent) or you currently live overseas, you can register to vote using your last address in Vermont. This address must be where you resided immediately before your military assignment or before moving overseas.

To register, you can:

  • Submit your application by mail. See the section “With Your Town or City Clerk” above.
  • Use the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).

For further assistance, military members can visit the FVAP website.

Name or Address Change

If you move or change your name, you are responsible for contacting your town or city clerk as soon as possible to ensure that all voting information remains current.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Be a Hero
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 0

heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Voter Registration in Another State?