Safety Laws in VermontPage Overview
Helmets are required for all riders.
Helmets are not required, regardless of age. Needless to say, wearing one greatly reduces the risk of injury, especially in children.
Cell phone restrictions:
- All drivers under 18 years old are banned from using cell phones.
- All drivers, regardless of age or license status, are banned from texting while behind the wheel.
- All kids younger than 1 year old and all kids who weigh less than 20 pounds must ride in a rear-facing, federally-approved child safety seat.
- All kids who weigh over 20 pounds and is 1 year old or older (but under 8 years old) must ride in either a booster or a child safety seat.
- Kids between 8 to 15 years old must ride in a child passenger restraining system, or use a seat belt.
If you're caught with inappropriate child safety seating:
- 1st offense―$25
- 2nd offense―$50
- 3rd offense―$100
To report a drunk or a dangerous driver, call either 911 or your local police department. Be sure to provide the vehicle's license plate number, make and model, location and travel direction.
Call 911 if you sense that an unattended child left inside a vehicle is in danger. Remain at the vehicle until authorities arrive.
Call either the local police or animal control unit if you suspect an unattended pet left inside a vehicle is in danger due to excessive heat or cold.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Treating Motion Sickness
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸