Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Plate Surrender in Vermont

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    There are times when you can keep your Vermont license plates―such as when you sell your car―and there are times when you must return them.

    Moving to Vermont

    You must apply for state license plates when you move to Vermont, but the state doesn’t require you to surrender your old license plates.

    However, your former state might want them back. To find out, scroll to the top of this page and choose your old state from the drop down menu.

    Moving from VT

    The VT DMV does want you to return your license plates when you move to another state.

    You can do so in person at your closest DMV location or mail them to the Montpelier office at:

      • Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
      • 120 State St.
      • Montpelier, VT 05603

    Group Membership Ends

    The VT DMV asserts you must return your special group license plates immediately following membership termination or expiration.

    You can find a complete list on VT’s Special Plates page (note that some specialty plates, like the Ex-POW Plate, aren’t considered group membership plates).l

    Bring your license plates to any DMV location or mail it to the Montpelier location listed above.

    Selling a Used Car

    Your license plates stay with you, not your vehicle.

    So, when you sell your used car, you keep the license plates to transfer to another vehicle.

    Likewise, after the title transfer, the buyer either will transfer his plates or purchase new plates during the registration.

    If you don’t want to transfer your plates, you must mail them to the Montpelier address above.

    Buying a Used Car

    When you buy a used car, the seller will remove his plates and transfer them to another vehicle or return them.

    When you complete the title transfer process and register the car in your name, you can transfer your old license plates (if you have some) or apply for new plates.

    Other Topics in This Section