DMV Driver Handbook in Vermont
In Vermont, you can find various resources to help you become a safe driver, including the VT DMV handbook, CDL manual, and motorcycle manual. For specific details about Vermont traffic and vehicle laws, you can view the Vehicle Code online.
Vermont DMV Handbook
When you apply for a VT driver's license, you'll need to pass the written DMV test. To prepare, you can study the Vermont Driver's Manual (Form TA-VN-07).
In the driving manual you will learn about all the following topics:
- Local traffic laws in Vermont.
- Applying for a VT driver's license.
- Registering and titling your vehicle.
- The dangers of drinking and driving.
- How to read and follow traffic signs.
- Car insurance.
- What to do in the event of an accident.
This DMV handbook is also offered in other languages and formats:
If you want to pass the written test, you'll need to do some preparation. Studying the drivers handbook is an excellent suggestion, but we also suggest also preparing with an online practice test from our state-approved partner. A practice test allows you to refresh multiple-choice questions as many times as you need to feel completely prepared to pass your test on your first try.
Motorcycle Manual in Vermont
Before applying for your Vermont motorcycle license, you'll need to study the Vermont Motorcycle Manual (Form TA-VN-07a). Topics covered in the motorcycle DMV manual include:
- How to obtain your motorcycle license in Vermont.
- What to expect when taking your motorcycle skills test.
- Using proper hand signals.
- Wearing appropriate eye and face protection.
- Carrying passengers and cargo.
- How to avoid a motorcycle collision.
- Riding in a group safely.
- Mechanical problems.
The motorcycle DMV handbook also includes a sample knowledge test for additional preparation before taking the DMV written test. You may also find it helpful to take an online VT motorcycle practice test.
Commercial Driver's License Manual
Before you apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL) in Vermont, you'll need to prepare for the DMV CDL written exam by studying the Vermont CDL Manual (Form TA-VN-11).
If you will be operating a school bus, you will need to read the School Bus Manual (Form VN-03).
NOTE: To obtain the CDL DMV handbook and school bus driving manual in CD format, please call the Vermont Assistive Technology Program at (800) 750-6355.
Additional resources for commercial drivers can be found on the Vermont DMV website.
What's in the Vermont Commercial Drivers Manual?
- How to apply for a VT CDL.
- Basic driver safety.
- Using air-brakes.
- Pre-trip inspections.
- Transporting hazardous materials.
- The dangers of driving without proper rest.
- Parking rules.
- Combination vehicles.
- Preparing for the skills exam.
Also included in the Vermont CDL drivers manual are study questions that may appear on your CDL written exam. For additional preparation, take an online CDL practice test.
Other VT Driver Manuals
The Vermont DMV also provides a variety of other drivers manuals, including:
- The Graduated Driver License - A Parent's Guide (Form VN-007s).
- Manuals for off-road vehicles (snowmobiles, boats, and all-terrain vehicles).
- Dealer and inspections manuals (dealer guide, inspection manual, etc.).
Vehicle Code in Vermont
The Vermont Motor Vehicle Code contains all the laws related to motor vehicles, including:
- Driver's licensing.
- Vehicle registration and titling.
- Traffic violations.
- Gas and diesel fuel tax.
By reviewing the vehicle code, DMV handbooks, and driving manuals, you will have an excellent grasp of Vermont traffic laws.