Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in Vermont

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Drivers with Disabilities in Vermont

    Vermont's Department of Motor Vehicles handles applications for all disabled license plates and disabled windshield placards. Any Vermont resident who is blind or has an ambulatory disability may apply.

    The plates and placards allow disabled drivers to park in specially designated areas. Typically the designated parking spots are close to curbs and doorway ramps, and are large enough to accommodate vehicles equipped with accessibility equipment.

    The state defines ambulatory disability as anyone who:

    • Cannot walk without the assistance of a brace, cane, prosthetic device, or wheelchair.
    • Cannot walk without stopping to catch their breath.
    • Uses portable oxygen.
    • Is stricken with a Class III or Class IV heart condition as defined by the American Heart Association.
    • Is significantly hampered by an arthritic, orthopedic, or neurological situation.

    Vermont honors disabled license plates and placards from all other states.

    On this page you'll find information about the disability plate and placard application process for both permanent and temporary disabilities.

    If you have specific questions about your own application, please contact the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

    Apply for a VT Disability Permit or Plate

    To apply for a handicap plate or placard in Vermont, you'll need to take the following steps:

    1. Depending on your need, you must either complete a Vermont Temporary Disabled Parking Placard Application and Medical Form (Form TA-VL-38) or a Disabled Parking Placard Application (Form TA-VL-120) (permanent). Both can be either downloaded or collected from a Vermont DMV office.
    2. All applications must be accompanied by a physician-signed Universal Medical Evaluation/Progress Report (Form TA-VS-113). Unless your physician explicitly states that your condition is permanent, you will have to resubmit a new Universal Medical Evaluation/Progress Report (Form TA-VS-113) to renew your plates.
    3. For disability license plates, you'll need to complete a separate Vehicle Registration and Tax Application (Form TA-VD-119).

    If you have questions about the application process, please contact the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

    If you have questions about your medical conditions and need recommendations on which types of handicap permits and plates you may need to apply for, please contact your personal doctor.

    Temporary Disabled Parking Placards in VT

    Should you become temporarily disabled, you will be eligible to apply for a disabled parking placard. All you must do is complete the appropriately named Vermont Temporary Disabled Parking Placard Application and Medical Form (Form TA-VL-38) and have it signed by your physician. All placards must be displayed in the lower right-hand corner of your windshield.

    These placards are recognized in all 50 states.

    Vermont Handicap Plate & Placard Regulations

    A vehicle displaying disabled plates or placards may park indefinitely without charge, in a parking space that normally has a time limit. This does not apply to no-parking or no-standing zones or those reserved for special vehicles. A vehicle with disabled plates or placards may also park in reserved disabled parking spaces.

    The disabled person must be in the car, either as a passenger or driver, to use this privilege. Anyone who uses disabled parking privileges without being disabled is subject to being fined and the car being towed.

    Other Topics in This Section