Appointments in VermontPage Overview
The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) currently offers an appointment system for scheduling all tests (written, vision or skills) by phone or e-mail. It is required that you have an appointment for the commercial driver's license (CDL) test. All others may be done on a walk-in basis, although it is not recommended, as scheduled appointments have priority. Check your local DMV office for days and hours of operation.
Schedule your appointment by phone or e-mail. Do not do both. If you need to reschedule or cancel a test, call Central Scheduling at (802) 828-2085.
Schedule your test appointment by phone or by calling Central Scheduling at (802) 828-2085.
Appointments may be scheduled by e-mail by sending the following information to CommissionersOffice@state.vt.us:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Telephone number
- VT DMV personal identification number, if available
- Type of test (written test, eye test or road test)
- Location of test
- Desired date and time
You will receive a confirmation e-mail with the date, time and location of your test.
Not all tasks require an in-person visit to the VT DMV. Find out what you can take care of from your own computer by accessing our Online Services page.
If you must pay a visit to a DMV office, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you time standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday