Should your marriage end in divorce you will need a divorce certificate to change your name on your vehicle’s title, driver’s license or state photo ID card. Simply showing a DMV agent a ring finger tan line where you once wore your wedding band will not suffice as proof.
If you have lost your original divorce record, you can order a copy through the state, county or country where the legal degree was issued or through a third-party company that expedites the process.
Can't Find What You're Looking For?
Let us help you find it!
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.