Replacing a Lost Registration in Virginia
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Act fast if you lose your registration or your tabs (license plate decals). This is not the time to procrastinate. Especially if you are a police magnet. If stopped without either, expect a fine, regardless of how sound your excuse.
To get a new registration card immediately, apply in person at any customer service center. Bring your driver's license and title. You'll need to complete a Vehicle Registration Application and pay a $2 fee.
You can also replace your registration online. The lone flaw with this option is that it will take up to 15 days to receive your new registration in the mail, so remember to print out your receipt to show, in case you're pulled over. The cost is $2, paid by a credit card.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.