Replacing a Lost Title in Virginia
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can replace just about every vehicle-related document, including misplaced titles.
The DMV provides three convenient options: phone, online, or in person.
When applying by phone, you must pay the $5 replacement title fee with a credit card.
There's a $5 replacement fee, payable by credit card.
Visit any customer service center. Bring your registration certificate and either your license or photo ID. Complete an Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Titles. Cost: $5
- If your title has a lien, the replacement title will be sent to the lienholder. Otherwise, it will be given to you.
- A replacement title invalidates the original title.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.