Moving Out of State in Virginia
Virginia law does not require you to surrender your plates if you leave the state, but that's the only way to get a potential refund on your registration fee. You can apply for the refund provided you have 6 months or more remaining on your registration. To do so, complete the aptly named Application for Vehicle Registration Refund and mail it along with your old Virginia plates (they cannot be expired) to the address on the form.
Your refund should arrive within 30 days.
Other Refund Points to Know
- The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does not refund the following fees: emissions, state inspections, emergency medical services.
- One-time special plate fees cannot be refunded.
Things to Do in Virginia
- Notify the Commissioner of Revenue. Otherwise, your vehicle might still accrue personal property taxes.
- Inform the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for file update purposes. Include your name, customer number, vehicle title number, and the last four digits of the vehicle identification number for all of your vehicles.
- Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
- Notify your leasing company if your vehicle is leased.
- Though not mandatory the Virginia's DMV encourages you to surrender your Virginia plates. This helps stem any potential fraudulent use of the plates.
Things to Do in Your New State
Be a Hero
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency, most states require that this be done within 30 and 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
- If you're a prospective new driver, you will need to check if your permit is honored in your new state.
- If you completed a driver education course in your old state, you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
- Learn if your new state requires vehicle inspections.
heroes have registered as organ donors.