- Location: Virginia
Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Virginia
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
First, make sure your scooter or moped fits the following criteria:
- Has not more than 3 wheels that are in contact with the road.
- Has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height.
- Has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that is less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) and a maximum speed of less than 35 mph.
If your moped or scooter meets the above definitions you need to register it by July 1, 2014 if you want to drive it on public roads.
- No moped/scooter may be driven faster than 35 mph.
- Riders must be at least 16 years of age and obey all rules of the road.
- Every driver and passenger must wear a helmet.
- Every driver must wear a face shield or safety goggles if the moped lacks a windshield.
- Every driver must carry government-issued photo ID (this does not have to be a driver's license) that includes his/her name, address, and date of birth.
- It is against the law to operate a moped while using earphones.
Register your moped by bringing the following to any customer service center:
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title and Registration.
- A Moped Certification (Form VSA 31).
- Proof of ownership in the form of a title, a manufacturer's certificate or origin, or a Bill of Sale.
- Proof of address.
- Check, cash or credit card to pay the $10 titling fee and the $20.25 registration fee.
Remember, laws can vary by locality. Be sure to check other requirements that may be in effect in various cities, towns, counties or states.