Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Virginia
First, make sure your scooter or moped fits the following criteria:
- Has no more than 3 wheels that are in contact with the road.
- Has a seat that is no lower than 24 inches in height.
- Has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that is less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) and a maximum speed of less than 35 MPH. (Mopeds that travel at great speeds are classified as motorcycles and are required to follow the rules and regulations set for motorcycles.)
If your moped or scooter meets the above definitions you need to register and title it with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles by July 1, 2014 if you want to drive it on public roads.
You will NOT be required to:
- Carry insurance on your moped or scooter*
- Have a safety inspection
- Have an odometer reading
- Pay use tax (you are required to pay the sales tax on the purchase)
- Pay electric vehicle fee
*While you are not required to carry insurance on your moped or scooter in Virginia it is a good idea to consider it. Moped insurance has a nominal fee and is a great way to protect yourself and your moped or scooter should you be in an accident.
- 35 MPH is the maximum speed allowed for mopeds/scooters.
- Riders must be at least 16 years old and obey all rules of the road.
- Helmets must be worn by driver and passenger.
- Face shield or safety goggles must be worn by the driver IF the moped lacks a windshield.
- Government-issued photo ID (this does not have to be a driver's license) must be carried by the driver. The ID must include the driver's name, address, and date of birth.
- Mopeds are prohibited on Interstates.
- You may NOT drive a moped if your driver's license has been suspended or revoked based on an conviction of:
- Drinking while under age.
- Refusing to take a breath or blood test.
- Driving while your driver's license was suspended or revoked for a DUI conviction.
- Earphones can NOT be worn while operating a moped is against the law.
Register your moped by bringing the following to any customer service center:
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title and Registration (Form VSA 17A).
- A Moped Certification (Form VSA 31).
- Proof of ownership in the form of a title, a manufacturer's certificate or origin, or a Bill of Sale.
- Proof of your address.
- Check, cash or credit card to pay the $10 titling fee and the $20.25 registration fee. (PLEASE NOTE: Laws and some fees can vary by locality. Be sure to check other requirements that may be in effect in various cities, towns, counties or states.)
You will be issued a license plate by the Department of Motor Vehicles that is required to be attach to the rear of your moped or scooter.
Remember, mopeds and scooters are to be driven no more than 35 MPH. Any moped driven in excess of 35 MPH will be classified as a motorcycle and will be required to follow titling, registration, insurance and all other laws and requirements that govern motorcycles.
Application for a title for a moped.